AEPIM e-mail addresses are not showing up in Android contacts

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Piman314
Novice

AEPIM e-mail addresses are not showing up in Android contacts

Post by Piman314 »

Hello again! Everything has been working fine for several months, and in particular I appreciate the way the AEPIM contacts now instantly update the Android database, with new contacts showing up immediately in WhatsApp, SMS, and other apps. (Previously I'd often had to reboot the phone for such changes to reliably take effect.)

Since AEPIM 5.5.2 came out, however, the Android contacts list no longer shows any e-mail addresses. Phone numbers, company name, and some other bits of information are imported nicely, but not e-mail addresses. As a result, to send e-mail, either via K-9 or the Android e-mail app, I have to look up the address in AEPIM and copy and paste it.

I can create a new contact within the Android built-in address book, and the e-mail address is saved and provided to the e-mail apps.

I have uninstalled AEPIM, rebooted, and reinstalled it; also deleted the AEPIM database, rebooted, and restored it from a backup; also deleted the AEPIM database, rebooted, and done a one-way sync from Windows EPIM 8.04. None of this has helped.

I've also tried creating a new contact in AEPIM and entering e-mail addresses for home, work, etc. The e-mail addresses show up fine in AEPIM but not among the Android contacts. Same behavior as before.

I thought that maybe since the field in Win EPIM is called E-Mail and the one in AEPIM is now called eMail, there might be some discrepancy, but renaming the AEPIM field didn't result in any change.

I've granted AEPIM and Android Contacts all available permissions. Default language is German. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. There have been two Android updates in the last couple of weeks (but still version 8.0.0).

Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
Happily using Essential PIM Pro on Windows 10 Home (64-bit), Windows 7 Starter (32-bit), and Android 8.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to manage all of life's complexities.
Freelance editor and translator (de-en), native speaker of US English.
admin
Site Admin

Re: AEPIM e-mail addresses are not showing up in Android contacts

Post by admin »

I can confirm the problem on Android 8.0 devices. Will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for bringing this issue up!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!