PGP de-encryption not working

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Sersti
Guru

PGP de-encryption not working

Post by Sersti »

I tried out PGP in EPIM today

I can't read the content of the e-mails I receive that are PGP-encoded, despite successfully importing the public key of the sender.

All I see in the message window is "This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 4880 and 3156)"

Do I need to do anything to open the content of PGP e-mails, or should that happen automatically? In Thunderbird (with the Enigmail add-on), a dialog box appears and I have to enter a password to view the content.
Max
Site Admin

Re: PGP de-encryption not working

Post by Max »

Hello,

in order for you to read PGP-encrypted emails, they should be encrypted by sender using your public key. Looks like this is not what you do in your case.
This is what should happen when you try to open email that was encrypted using your public key:
Скриншот 2018-07-22 00.45.18.png
Скриншот 2018-07-22 00.45.18.png (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Hi Max
Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm not sure what you mean.
The messages that I mentioned are definitely encrypted with my public key by the sender.

Encrypted messages from the same sender work as expected in Thunderbird, but in EPIM, there is no pop-up message asking for a password.
In EPIM, the title of these messages shows as "Encrypted message", the content shows as "This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 4880 and 3156)" and there are 2 attachments - encrypted.asc and attachment1. I can't open encrypted.asc. If I open attachment1 in a text editor, the text is "Version: 1".

The only thing that I can't check is whether exporting the keys from Thunderbird and importing them into EPIM worked correctly. I tried deleting the keys in EPIM and re-importing them, but that didn't make any difference.

Do I need to install anything for EPIM to handle PGP messages, or should it just work?

I have sent you a PM with the content of a PGP-encoded message as displayed in Message Source, in case that helps.
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Just as a test, I set up another e-mail account in EPIM and generated PGP keys for that account in EPIM.

I then sent a PGP-encoded message to the new account from the old account in EPIM and the message arrived with no content - only the subject line
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

EPIM currently does not support OpenPGP/MIME as it is fundamentally different from inline pgp-encrypted messages.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Sersti
Guru

Post by Sersti »

Thanks for letting me know.
Obviously, I am unable to control the PGP type used by others, but to be honest, it's not such a big deal, since only 3 of my contacts seem to use OpenPGP/MIME, and I can continue using Thunderbird for those messages.
Are there any plans to support OpenPGP/MIME in the future?