"Start with" not remembered and Autosave

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jsc
Guru

"Start with" not remembered and Autosave

Post by jsc »

For EPIM Portable Pro 7.60 on Win7-64 Enterprise, the "Start with" module is not always remembered. It's a bit random, but the option box seems to always revert to Calendar, even after clicking "Apply". I want Contacts to be the starting module, but if I'm working in another module and quit the program, it seems to come up as Calendar when I restart the program. Every time I look at the option, it's reverted back to Calendar.

Also, I have Autosave turned off, but if I add a task but don't save, and then exit the program, EPIM does not ask me about saving the database. But when I start EPIM up the next time, it saved the task anyway. Just not what I expected.

I'm running from my primary hard disk, C:, in a root level directory that is not one of the special Windows protected directories. EPIM.ini seems to be updating without any issues, so it does not seem to be a matter of EPIM not being able to update the ini file.

Any ideas?

Yes, the database has been updated by 7 different versions of EPIM from 7.23 to 7.60. You are probably going to ask me to create a new database, aren't you! I am NOT using the email module, but I don't want to lose my tasks or calendar entries.
a8907433
Guru

Re: "Start with" not remembered and Autosave

Post by a8907433 »

For EPIM Portable Pro 7.60 on Win7-64 Enterprise, the "Start with" module is not always remembered. It's a bit random, but the option box seems to always revert to Calendar, even after clicking "Apply". I want Contacts to be the starting module, but if I'm working in another module and quit the program, it seems to come up as Calendar when I restart the program. Every time I look at the option, it's reverted back to Calendar.
I have the same problem. Astonsoft can not reproduce the problem. But I figured out, WHEN it occurs: I want my EPIM to start with MAIL, but when I go to the options, it reverts to CALENDAR. But this occurs only, when I:
1) Let EPIM show me not all modules
2) Rearrange the order of modules "move up" "move down"

Then EPIM is not able to remember the correct starting-module and reverts to "Calendar".
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

a8907433 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 amAstonsoft can not reproduce the problem.
Same here, I am not working for Astonsoft, but I can't reproduce this problem. I am also using the Pro Portable 7.6 version and for me it works as it should. EPIM remembers changes in the options with the "start with". Also reordering or hiding/showing modules doesn't change the behaviour. The program comes up with the selected module.

Only time I have problems with the settings (I know the why and how to solve it) is when changing between beta versions en release versions. Then things can "change". This is caused by the usage of separate INI-files. But I hope for you someone can find what is causing your problems.

Maybe JSC can confirm that he has also reordered modules or hidden modules. Maybe there are more users with the same problems.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I do have several modules that are hidden, yes. They apparently are reordered - I checked by renaming my ini file so that EPIM would create a new ini file. The the old ini file showed "Startmodule=4", which seems to be the contact module.

I re-enabled my original ini file, re-started EPIM, then reordered the module list to the way it was shown with the clean ini file, then set the Contacts module as the starting module. I'll see if this "sticks" and report back.

Thanks for your comments.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Well, that didn't take long. After working in the Task module, and exiting EPIM from there, the next time I started EPIM it came up in the Calendar module, not the Contact module. Checking the EPIM.ini, StartModule was changed to "1", the Calendar, not "4", the Contact module.

Will still try to detect a pattern, but so far no luck.

Does anyone have an idea about the Autosave issue? Should I create a separate topic?
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

jsc wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 pmAlso, I have Autosave turned off, but if I add a task but don't save, and then exit the program, EPIM does not ask me about saving the database. But when I start EPIM up the next time, it saved the task anyway. Just not what I expected.
The autosave is an option that prevents data-loss because of power failure or complete crashes of the system.
EPIM is in general a big database program and databases automatic save data. They don't ask (like Word or Excel) if you want to save data. Even when you use the task-manager and forcefully close/end EPIM the data you have entered is still there.

If you find out that you want to revert to the previous state, then you have to restore the previous back-up. Or manually undo all changes you didn't want to make.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I can live with that - it's just that the check boxes are a little misleading in the "normal" sense of turning something on or off.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

we could try reproducing if you give a bit more information- what modules exactly you have hidden and what Module is EPIM put to start with?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Hello,

we could try reproducing if you give a bit more information- what modules exactly you have hidden and what Module is EPIM put to start with?
Max, I reported you in an email, some time ago, I have:
Contacts
Notes
Password
Mail
Calendar
Trash

in this order. EPIM Today and Tasks are hidden. Startmodule SHOULD BE Email- but when I click on "Options" - Calendar is staring module again. I noticed the same in EPIM.ini as jsc described.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I have hidden:
EPIM today
Mail
Passwords

Order is per the default EPIM order (I started without an EPIM.ini file to see what it was).

I have requested EPIM to start with Contacts. Sometimes it does, but the option in EPIM is always coming up showing "Calendar", but the StartModule=4 is what shows in the EPIM.ini file. The fourth item is contacts in the drop down list.

It seems a little bit odd that the show module list has 8 items, but the drop down for which one to start with only has 5 items. Wonder if that is part of the problem?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello, thank you for the comments, seems like it will be fixed in 7.61 version
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Max, thanks. I'll be watching for it.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Max, Looks like 7.61 fixed the "Start with" issue. Thank you very much.