Transferring network EPIM (server) database to a new computer

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

salamander
Novice

Transferring network EPIM (server) database to a new computer

Post by salamander »

I cannot see that this has been covered before.

We have been running a small EPIM system on a Windows Home Server "Server 1", which is a cut-down version of Windows Server 2008. It works well. Microsoft have announced that very soon mainstream support will end for that Windows family.

We are continuing to use EPIM, daily, while we plan a new server "Server 2", or maybe we do not even need a formal 'server' - a networked PC may be all we need, but within the next few weeks we will purchase and set-up a suitable PC.

:?: My question is this: is there a 100% foolproof way that we can more the entire current multi-user EPIM database from Server 1 and transplant it in Server 2, so that it continues to work faultlessly, with all data preserved including user passwords and permissions?

If so, please can you explain in simple terms what the process is. Thanks
Max
Site Admin

Re: Transferring network EPIM (server) database to a new computer

Post by Max »

Hello,

the top of EPIM Window lists the path to the database on the server. Please move the database file to a new server, install Network version on the same server and you should be ready to go.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
salamander
Novice

Post by salamander »

Clear, thanks.
salamander
Novice

Post by salamander »

Now I've come to action the transfer from server 1 to server 2, it's a little more involved than I thought. For clarity please ....

1) I'm running version 7.2 Business on server 1. The paid upgrade package has recently expired. All I seem to have here is EssentialPIMProNet6.exe of Jan. 2016, so I'm not sure what .exe I can actually install on Server 2.

2) I think the advice is to install EPIM on server 2. Does that mean starting from scratch? Would I have to manually recreate all the 6 user accounts, with passwords? Or is all of that information stored in the database itself?

Thoughts, please?
salamander
Novice

Post by salamander »

UPDATE
---------

I have updated to a perpetual x6 license (good value for money, should have done it initially). As I recall (?), when I initially installed the network version there was one master license key applied to each user. Now, after the payment for perpetual, I have been emailed with six distinct license keys.

Now I presume that I download and install EssentialPIMProNet7.exe (the multi-client network version?) to server 2, and copy the database from server 1 to server 2, and point EPIM at it on server 2.

But what about all the client registrations please? I'm concerned because I just cannot recall where I noted down all the passwords etc. and am very concerned that after moving to server 2, client users will not actually be able to gain access to their data ...... :?:
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

salamander, please PM me your order details. You actually need 1 license code that covers 6 Network licenses.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
salamander
Novice

Post by salamander »

I have sent it to you by PM.

What next please?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »