double click ics file to import/open

Here we post and discuss the iCal calendars which users create with EssentialPIM
felixs
Novice

double click ics file to import/open

Post by felixs »

I am routinely sent calendar entries from others as *.ics files. Currently, I have to save them and the import them through the EPIM import function. This is a very cumbersome procedure and certainly not appropriate for the year 2014. Any other program would import on double-click. I just upgraded from 5.??? to version 6 ($$) and was hoping to have this annoying 'feature' finally taken care of. Did I hope for too much? I just hope that I am missing an appropriate setting someplace!
Max
Site Admin

Re: double click ics file to import/open

Post by Max »

Hello,

currently there is no such feature in EPIM.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
felixs
Novice

Post by felixs »

Thank you for the response. I am a bit puzzled though as to why this would not be high on the list of obvious features? Isc files are quite standard these days, the functionality of import is there, so basically all that is needed is a script that executes the about 10 clicks that are currently necessary.
Does EPIM have a rational for not including this? If so, it would help me in accepting the absence of what I consider an essential feature.
thanks!
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

it is easy to explain. If you search this forum for the same problem, you might find 1 or 2 mentioning it. That is a clear indicator of priority of this feature. I agree, that's a logical feature, it's just that we have a lot of other features being pushed by users.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Roel
Novice

Post by Roel »

I have recently moved from Outlook to EPIM and am *so* happy to be experiencing the increased integration, control, and human-friendliness of EPIM. I'm not going back to Outlook, but the closest thing to a deal-killer for the transition has been this problem. I am an independent consultant in energy & climate policy, a stream of work that includes a lot of email communication with remote clients, and associated scheduling of both in-person and phone meetings. Indeed, meeting scheduling is core underlying infrastructure for my work. Most of my clients use iCalendar meeting invitations to which I formerly could simply click "accept" or "decline," but now become *.ics files subject to the cumbersome process felixs described.

And on the flip side of the same coin, I am hoping that EPIM could not only fully integrate the receipt of *.ics invitations, but also allow me to create new meetings and invite my contacts via the iCalendar format. iCalendar is really becoming universal now and it would be fantastic to have it fully integrated into EPIM like this. Maybe for version 8?

~Roel
Roel Hammerschlag
http://hammerschlag.org
EPIM 7.2 on Windows 10; Lenovo ThinkPad T440s with 4k external monitor
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I guess that the new feature in the upcoming 7.1 (now beta2) might solve the problem with the invites;
- EPIM now understands Outlook/Google invites sent over email
- Right-click on email to convert it to Task or Appointment

I have not tested this, so I am not sure if this fully complies to your wish "integrate the receipt of *.ics invitations".
But I guess your clients can also sent e-mails with the invitation in stead of mailing an ICS-file.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
Roel
Novice

Post by Roel »

Thanks (en bedankt - ik was ook eens een nederlander) Peter, this sounds VERY promising, I am looking forward to trying it out!
Roel Hammerschlag
http://hammerschlag.org
EPIM 7.2 on Windows 10; Lenovo ThinkPad T440s with 4k external monitor
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Uitgezonderd gewenning ziet 7.1 er heel veel belovend uit. Veel verbeteringen wat betreft de GUI en opties.

As said, 7.1 (as like 7.0) needs time to get used to, but it looks very promissing. Many improvements in the GUI and good new options.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17