Google Sync Prep Recommendations Needed

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
jagfan
Novice

Google Sync Prep Recommendations Needed

Post by jagfan »

Some background info. Currently using a PC, Ipad and IPhone. My EPIM database goes back to 2006. I started a Google calendar in 2011 when I was using an android phone. I have been maintaining both calendars because in 2011 I didn't want to sync all my EPIM calendar events with google. Maintaining both calendars is a pain so I now want to bite the bullet and sync my EPIM calendar with Google - one way - EPIM to Google.

I'm planning the sync process and trying to determine the best method to complete the first sync. I've already archived my EPIM calendar and backed it up. The next step has be concerned because I don't want to have duplicates. So I'm thinking I should delete my entire Google calendar and then sync with EPIM? Does this sound logical?

Hopefully, those of you who have undertaken this task, can give me some advice and recommendations.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Google Sync Prep Recommendations Needed

Post by admin »

If you don't want to have duplicates you should either use a 2-way sync (in this case EPIM compares the events on both sides and tries not to make any duplicates if the events are found to be similar) or, like you rightfully mentioned, delete all the events from your Google Calendar and then perform a one-way sync from EPIM to Google.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
robi
Guru

Re: Google Sync Prep Recommendations Needed

Post by robi »

Be careful if you have recurring appointment with some exceptions in your google calendar, as for the moment, epim doesn't handle that and add duplicates. Those duplicates will be "ghosts", because you won't see them in google, and it's very tedious.