Beta 3 ... observations & a couple of notes ...

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

VictorZ
Novice

Beta 3 ... observations & a couple of notes ...

Post by VictorZ »

Max,

Happy New Year! Hope the holidays were enjoyable times for you and yours.

A couple of notes re. beta 3 ...

1. Contact List -- Columns now maintain modified order. Thanks! There is still a lingering issue, however, regarding sort ordering. ePim defaults to sorting on the first column, in ascending order, regardless of what that column contains. Sorting on a different column works, but sticks only as long as ePim is not closed or minimized to the system tray (minimizing to the task bar does not cause loss of sort selection.) This is a small item, a nit really, since I can now simply put the column I want as the default sort order in the first position and it stays there. :) But it would be nice if ePim would remember sort order selections.

2. Schedule -- I know import/export to Outlook (as concerns notes) is still being worked on, however I'd like to point out an item that may or may not have been mentioned eariler re import/export of schedule information. In addition to importing whatever calendar items are selected in the date range, ePim also imports all the items in Outlook's Task list. Likewise, an export from ePim to Outlook not only exports schedule items, but also all of the items in the ToDo list. This may be a function of how ePim/Outlook categorize these items, but it would be neater if the two could be isolated from each other. In other words, a separate import/export fuction for calendar/schedule items and task/todo items. If this is not possible and/or practical, no big deal as long as duplicates are not being created.

As an aside re. duplicates, I suppose one way of dealing with the issue from the ePim --> Outlook direction could be to have an "exported" flag that is set when an item is exported, and cleared if the item is modified. At least this would eliminate any problems re. creating duplicates in the Outlook database. Re-exporting a modified item is fine. My Palm Pilot synch routines do the same and I can just consolidate and/or delete the unnecessary duplicates. The reverse, Outlook --> ePim is a bit harder since there is no way for you to flag anything in Outlook's database. I guess a content checking routine is necessary in order to skip duplicates.

For me at least, the ability to coordinate the various types of information between ePim and Outlook is one of the major features of ePim that makes it so attractive. I hope all the little nits can be ironed out, I'm sure they will be eventually. This feature really makes ePim stand out and shine above the rest .

Victor
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi again, Victor!

thanks once more!
Yes, indeed, agree- the 2 points you made are valid ones. Point 1 being an obvious bug- we will attempt to fix it in Beta 4.
Point 2- a little bit later- we first need to sort it our all with Outlook synchronizations- and, then, separate to-dos. But yes, that will be done, thanks for suggestion!
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Max
Site Admin

Re: Beta 3 ... observations & a couple of notes ...

Post by Max »

VictorZ wrote: 1. Contact List -- Columns now maintain modified order. Thanks! There is still a lingering issue, however, regarding sort ordering. ePim defaults to sorting on the first column, in ascending order, regardless of what that column contains. Sorting on a different column works, but sticks only as long as ePim is not closed or minimized to the system tray (minimizing to the task bar does not cause loss of sort selection.) This is a small item, a nit really, since I can now simply put the column I want as the default sort order in the first position and it stays there. :) But it would be nice if ePim would remember sort order selections.
Fixed in Beta 4!:)
Maxim,
EPIM Team