Work around for Google transfer

Here we post and discuss the iCal calendars which users create with EssentialPIM
saa001

Work around for Google transfer

Post by saa001 »

This is not very pretty but it does get the job done. It takes a few steps (I can't wait for the day when we can subscribe to a google calendar, it would be very helpful.

First you have to export your Google calendar. Here are the instructions straight from Google:

To export your calendar content, just follow these steps:

1. Under "Calendars" in the left column, click on the down-arrow button next to the appropriate calendar, then select "Calendar settings." (Alternatively, click on "Manage Calendars" under "Calendars" in the left column, then click on the name of the appropriate calendar.)
2. Click on the "ICAL" button under "Private Address" and click on the displayed URL.
3. Save the exported file to the desired folder on your computer.
4. Following the instructions on the calendar application of your choice, import the file you exported from Google Calendar to the calendar application.

Now all you have to do is import your Calendar using the local file.

I have done this once and it worked OK. I will try again tomorrow to see if duplicates are enetered when I transfer the calendar.

Not the best way but it seems to get the job done.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you. By the way, version 2.5 will feature full Google synchronization.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
saa001

Post by saa001 »

Just an FYI, I did an update to my calendar using this process and it worked just fine (i.e. no double entries). While not the best way to do this it is a work around.
Kefas
Novice

Post by Kefas »

Max wrote:Thank you. By the way, version 2.5 will feature full Google synchronization.
I should say that it is about time. The following is promised on the front page of essentialpim.com since 2.2. was released if memory serves me right:
Synchronization with Outlook, Windows Mobile devices, Palm, iPOD, Google Calendar.
I did buy Epim long before I started use Google Calendar though, so this unfortunate wording doesn't affect me much - except, I really look forward to sync with Google Calendar. But had I bought Epim thinking it could sync with Google Calendar, I would not have been a happy camper.
saa001

Post by saa001 »

I love Essential PIM and with Google Sync it will be even better. If you added an email client embedded with this program it would be the bomb.

I use it mainly for my work contacts and I would like an all in one kind of program (I don't like Outlook and it is not portable).
jakerock
Experienced

Re: Work around for Google transfer

Post by jakerock »

Just tried the sync...
I have Separate calendars for "General", "Business", ect, and they are all visible when enable within Google cal...
EPIM only imported the entries that were in the "General" calendar...

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Jake
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello, Jake,

during synchronization, EPIM works with the main calendar only so far.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jakerock
Experienced

Post by jakerock »

Thanks Max!

By the way... wasnt complaining, just wondering if I was doing everything right!

Umm... I am asking this out of laziness, I apologize....
Is it theoretically possible to use the workaround described above to import my other calendars into EPIM?

Best, thank you,
-Jake