EssentialPIM 12.0 - Feedback

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

M&M
Expert

EssentialPIM 12.0 - Feedback

Post by M&M »

EPIM 12 is characterized by performance losses compared to the previous version, despite alleged changes that are supposed to increase performance.

For me, the loss of performance is particularly noticeable in the contact module. There are also display problems in the new contact module, which should be fixed in the next version.

In terms of new features, I really like the redesign of the contact module, otherwise there are no significant new features for me.

I will stick with version 11.8.4 as it is the first version in a long time that has been stable for me (no freezing, extremely rare error messages, no data loss, “good” performance). The many posts in the forum do not reassure me either, but rather make it clear to me that version 12 is not yet running smoothly and that there are apparently still some problems in the background.

Basically, I also follow a recommendation from the forum that points out to test new versions first and to observe the posts in the forum before switching to the new version and I have been doing well with this recently.

I test new versions with a portable version of EPIM on the system drive and a “copy” of my current database. I usually create a new database from the created copy using EPIM Sync (current version: https://www.essentialpim.com/de/feature ... nchronizer). I configure the portable version manually and do not transfer any settings from the previous version unless they are passed on via EPIM Sync. I also clean the new database of all entries that do not correspond to my old database (data, tags, categories, groups, trees, contact fields etc.) before synchronizing it with the old database.

Regards M&M
Bareges25
Novice

Re: EssentialPIM 12.0 - Feedback

Post by Bareges25 »

I installed 12.00 the change of focus to email was extremely slow and collection and display of messages equally slow. I have gone back to 11.8.4 which does seem to be one iof the fastest and most stablle versions that we have had for a while.
I'm sure 12.00 will get there but for now I'm staying on the touchline!

Regards
Charles
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Mail now uses the Chrome-engine, is this correct?
Would it help- make Emails faster- if Chrome ist installed?
On my Computer I use exclusive Firefox portable.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

a8907433 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:03 pm Mail now uses the Chrome-engine, is this correct?
Would it help- make Emails faster- if Chrome ist installed?
On my Computer I use exclusive Firefox portable.
No. The engine is open source (though it probably was adapted), and would be built into EPIM. Most browsers, excluding FireFox, are built on the Chromium engine - like Edge and Brave.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

1. Many issues at first. After closing the program and then re-opening it, they disappeared.
2. I much much prefer the redesign of both mail and contacts. Both are much better and look much better.

This however is an odd flaw
Windows 11 pro.

the second line names do not align with the contact information and tops and bottoms are cut off
epim contact 14 point type.png
epim contact 14 point type.png (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
and here:
2nd epim contact.png
2nd epim contact.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
As you can see, alignment is wrong. I'm using 14 point type, but switched to 12 point and it still had the same issue, just smaller.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a known issue in the contacts when a font size different from the default (10) is used. We are working to resolve this in the upcoming update, EPIM 12.0.1, scheduled for release next week.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

A pattern that is apparent to those of us who deal with many diverse clients is that the older you get, the larger the "default" font size. :D
M&M
Expert

Post by M&M »

In my opinion, version 12.0.2 has not brought any significant improvements. On the contrary, according to the forum, problems have been added. I find the new vertical views for contacts and emails, which seem to be causing the problems, to be confusing and ineffective.

Regards M&M
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

+1.

V11.8.4 was probably the most stable version in years. V12 seems to suffer from many problems, but it appears most are centered on the mail module. Going to Chrome was a mistake; EPIM should revert to whatever they previously used.

Bill L
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I am able to read a newsletter I've never been able to read before because the Chrome engine knows how to display it and the previous engine did not. As far as stability is concerned, EPIM has never been as stable as I'd like, but as long as I remember to log out of it once or twice a week, it only crashes once or twice a month. Same as always.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

For me version 12.0.2 is the very best in a long time! Even the "click to load e-mail images" works, and the sound for arriving email!
But I´m using it on Windows 8.1- it looks like EPIM is very dependent on the running Windows version..... I noted that often when it runs perfectly on the newest Windows from other users, it´s not running as fine for me. This version is quite reverse.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

M&M wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:32 pm EPIM 12 is characterized by performance losses compared to the previous version, despite alleged changes that are supposed to increase performance.

For me, the loss of performance is particularly noticeable in the contact module. There are also display problems in the new contact module, which should be fixed in the next version.

In terms of new features, I really like the redesign of the contact module, otherwise there are no significant new features for me.

I will stick with version 11.8.4 as it is the first version in a long time that has been stable for me (no freezing, extremely rare error messages, no data loss, “good” performance). The many posts in the forum do not reassure me either, but rather make it clear to me that version 12 is not yet running smoothly and that there are apparently still some problems in the background.

Basically, I also follow a recommendation from the forum that points out to test new versions first and to observe the posts in the forum before switching to the new version and I have been doing well with this recently.

I test new versions with a portable version of EPIM on the system drive and a “copy” of my current database. I usually create a new database from the created copy using EPIM Sync (current version: https://www.essentialpim.com/de/feature ... nchronizer). I configure the portable version manually and do not transfer any settings from the previous version unless they are passed on via EPIM Sync. I also clean the new database of all entries that do not correspond to my old database (data, tags, categories, groups, trees, contact fields etc.) before synchronizing it with the old database.

Regards M&M
Yes, I will stick myself with the excellent version 11.8.4 for a while — do not want to continue the beta testing due to a lack of time... Regards.
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
M&M
Expert

Post by M&M »

Also EPIM 12.0.3 is still buggy and I am sticking with 11.8.4.
    The new e-mail function to protect the "subject" apparently changes (deletes) the "subject" instead of protecting it (see forum)? I only test new versions offline to protect my data and therefore have no experience in this regard.
      Finding notes with the "Search" function still does not provide any useful results (some empty trees, path not recognizable) - in my opinion no change.
        The new vertical layouts for contacts and emails could be good in the future if the layout of the lists becomes clear and readable. At the moment, existing content is not meaningful or is arranged incorrectly. The preview display for contacts is still incorrect.

Regards M&M
        kb5cth
        Guru

Post by kb5cth »

M&M,

12.0.3 is finally a winner for me. Once I found reference to deleting/renaming Webview2loader.dll. EPIM started working properly again. While I find it annoying that so many of us had to live with broken software for several weeks due to an "upgrade", I'm glad it's finally settling down...for me at least.

Bill L.
        Laurent C.
        Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

I’m just migrating today from EPIM 11.5.1 Pro to EPIM 11.8.4 Pro — just because the EPIM 11.6.6 Pro buggy version had deleted my notes' contents and also first next versions — and I did not try more after : I will upgrade to EPIM 12.0.x Pro after the summer :roll:
        EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus