Imap not downloading frequently enough

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Steve Shank
Guru

Imap not downloading frequently enough

Post by Steve Shank »

IMAP email issue. Windows 11 23H2. Latest full release of epim.

I have a few subfolders under my inbox and filter messages at the server level to those folders. For the couple of weeks, my main folder and second most common folder, seem to check with the email server only once an hour or half hour, so it takes a long time for emails to appear. However, if I click on the folder, it usually checks with the server and downloads the pending messages. This is new. I'm used to being alerted with a dark number indicating unread messages.

My email provider claims this is not them.

Could it be you?

I have those folders syncing, but can't find a place to force a sync every, say, 5 minutes. Is there one?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Imap not downloading frequently enough

Post by admin »

Please click on Tools->Account Settings, select your mail account, and click on the Edit button (alternatively, you can right-click on the account name and choose Account Settings). Then in the opened dialog window, navigate to the Advanced Settings tab and ensure that the "Get messages instantly" feature is enabled. Additionally, you can schedule automatic send/receive intervals there as well.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Interesting. Thanks. Get immediately was already checked. I unchecked and then checked again and turned off the auto every 10 minutes. Perhaps it is my provider, but I'll try without the auto send/receive.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If an issue persists after enabling these features, please forward us the mail log file. We will analyze it to identify the root of the problem.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I've sent you an email with a zipped mail log file. The log file was immediately after I clicked on a sub-folder and the last 10 hours of emails appeared.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We have received the log file, thank you. I will update you once we have analyzed it.

EDIT: According to the log file, there are 3 mail accounts. Which one are you having the problem with? Do the other two work as expected?
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I will pay more attention. I avoid using both the Comcast account and the Gmail account, so don't know if they have an issue. In the runbox account, I forward email to folders steveshank_com and nospam. Those are the two accounts I actually use regularly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do both of the accounts that you regularly use have the same issue?
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

We are dealing with a problem of communication. So, allow me to explain clearly. I have a domain. I switched a couple of years ago to an email provider because my web host, which provided email service, didn't do a good enough job. So, I have a single "account" say, myname@runbox.com. I then set up filters at that server (not local filters) to send info@mydomain.com to one sub-folder and steve@mydomain.com to another sub-folder. Those are the only email addresses I regularly get mail. My actual ISP might send me a bill to my email address at their service, and I have a Gmail account only used for dealing with Google.

I've only noticed the issue with the two email addresses at the one account that I regularly use.

I'm hoping we're in sync now. thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are not concerned about email filters configured on the server side. What matters to us is that emails are promptly delivered to EPIM once they reach the mail server. If this is not happening, we need to identify the email account associated with the problem (as there were two email accounts with IDLE enabled in the log file you provided).
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

the account would be the runbox account
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The log file contains numerous operations related to receiving new email messages via the "get new messages instantly" option for the runbox account. We haven't identified any anomalies in how it all functions.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

OK. I'll assume the issue is with Runbox, not you. I've been trying to check my other two accounts I don't use, and they don't seem to be suffering the same problem. Thanks for checking.