Drag and Drop

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

DavidN
Guru

Drag and Drop

Post by DavidN »

I personally believe that adding drag and drop functionality to EPIM would take it to another level. From a production standpoint to be able to take an email and drag it to either a task or appointment would be a time saver. The right click is great, however, being able to drag and drop is much faster and ultimately more productive. If I had one main critique with this software is there is too many clicks.

Please note, this is not a bash, this is meant to be a critique. The software is sound.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Drag and Drop

Post by admin »

Thank you for the suggestion. This can be done, although, please elaborate a bit more about your request. Where precisely would you like to be able to drop the emails? Does this suggestion concern only email or other types of data as well?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Great question. Not just emails but really it could encompass every aspect of the software.

For example, I receive an email, I drag that email to create a task and then file the email away. That task has a link to the email and is also linked to the contact so I have record at all times. Then if I receive multiple emails related to that same task and then perhaps multiple tasks then I create a note and drag all of those tasks to the related fields in the notes section so everything is together. The same would apply to appointments or notes. It is very handy to be able to take an email and drag and create an appointment and then take that appointment and drag to a note, etc.

Does this help? I am happy to elaborate more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you know you could use the "follow up" feature to create tasks from emails, which is a single-click option?

Additionally, the previous question remains sort of unanswered - specifically, from which section and into which section of the screen would you like to drag and drop items? Thank you!
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Follow up leaves the email in the inbox. My inbox stays at 10 emails or less and I receive at least 20 to 30 per hour.

It would be helpful to drag an email to create a task or to create an appointment with the contact linked to the task or appointment at that time. Additionally be able to drag both tasks and appointments to notes to help manage projects.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can already do that - grab an email and drop it to create a task from it. Give it a try. Thank you!
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

I can drag an email to the side bar to create a task. The task window does not pop up and you cannot assign a due date, etc. Surely not the most productive way to create a task.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you mean to request a feature that doesn't focus on the ability to create items, but rather on the ability to see a new item window upon the creation of such an item?
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Thank you. First of all, I sounded rude in my last post. That was not my intent.

I had also sent you a video as a message here on the forum that may help better describe this request. Email is certainly the hub as we all have to deal with it day in and day out. Having an inbox full of emails is counter productive. While having drag and drop throughout the software would be a huge help, email is a great place to start. So to answer your question if I receive an email will either be answered and filed or forwarded and filled OR a task or an appointment is created from that email before it is filed. It would be a huge help to productivity.

Currently I can right click on an email and select convert and either convert that email to a task or an appointment. The suggestion is to have that very same functionality, however, to give us the ability to drag and drop rather than right click. Drag and drop would be much faster and more productive.

I hope this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Would you like to use a sidebar as a place to drag and drop emails, for both tasks and events? If so, would you prefer to see a separate item editing dialog window after dropping an email in there?
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Thank you for the response. Would love to be able to drag an email and drop on the task or appointment icon on the left side bar and then a new window would open where we could then categorize the task, set the date, etc.

I have thought alot about this. From a development side how complex this request is. However, an alternative could be to select and email and create a shortcut key to perform the same functionality.

Sure appreciate this dialog. Thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the clarification. We're not certain if dropping items onto module icons is expected behavior, but we'll definitely take your suggestion into consideration. Thanks again!
DavidN
Guru

Post by DavidN »

Thank you. I have also messaged you with additional video's.