Emailmodule

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
a8907433
Guru

Emailmodule

Post by a8907433 »

When can we expect an Emailmodule for AEPIM?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Emailmodule

Post by admin »

This is in the plans, although we cannot provide an ETA at the moment, unfortunately.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

When I remember right, this question comes up again and again and the answer always is the same.
However an email module in AEPIM is something very important for such an App, which is why users ask for it again and again!
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
DanFelix
Novice

Post by DanFelix »

I am curious, poet-man, what feature is missing from the the non-AEPIM email apps on an Android that would be available in an AEPIM version? I use the Samsung Email app and do not experience any shortcoming, but maybe my needs are rudimentary. Thanks.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@DanFelix
It's obvious ... an Android app like AEPIM definitely needs an email-module to connect all data. Therefore a mail-module is essential, so not to have data and features in different apps.
If you do want to use different apps, please do. Most users don't. Of course opinions are free.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I am the same opinion like poet-man.
I like to have all in one app, so I have only to trust one app, all my data in one app, maybe syncing of email-data (I still use POP3, I have emails from 1997 on (imported from Thunderbird)).
So, I would like to have an emailmodule!
Off course, I would pay additional money too, therefore the module perhaps should be optional for those who don´t need it.
DanFelix
Novice

Post by DanFelix »

poet-man: "It's obvious ... "
Interesting. My email is IMAP so it is rather agnostic to the email program. I like the separation so that if one program goes down, I am not locked out of everything. Thanks for the reply.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

So it's good for you ... others donot want to act this way. And the reasons are obvious again.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Poet-man, you keep saying it is obvious. You are asked what features. You say, "it is obvious." Well it is not obvious. I use IMAP. My android mail app is not "storing my emails." They are all stored in EPIM on the desktop and at my email service. I check emails from my tablet. The only advantage I can see is setting an event reminder from the email component instead of opening the calendar or task module and setting it.

Even if I used POP, I'd have all my emails stored on my office desktop computer, and would not need them stored on my android. In fact, I wouldn't want gigabytes of old emails taking up limited space on my phone or tablet.

I am not saying such a module is a bad idea. I've said that already about a year ago and was told they are doing it regardless of my opinion. My reason for not wanting one is that I'd rather the programmers spend their time on features like better faster cleaner syncing with the desktop or better search or something I would find useful. The other reason, is that I think it will take many years before an email module on Android will be as good as a dedicated email app that has been developed over a decade or more and then selected out of dozens of competitors as my preferred Android Email app. But, I know I've lost that argument.

But please, and honestly, explain why such a module is so important to you and to the programmers at EPIM. Clearly, it is not obvious to some of us.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Steve, what I find 'obvious' is, to be able to use data in a mail module, which is there in the app anyway. Say mail adresses in contacts or other data that I want to link to and which is stored in AEPIM.
And honestly, you donot really think, that a mail module is developed from scratch? Existing things for such purposes are used and integrated.
THE advantage just is, that all my data is in one app and usable in writing mails.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

poet-man wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:18 am And honestly, you donot really think, that a mail module is developed from scratch? Existing things for such purposes are used and integrated.
This isn't true. Many things are actually developed from scratch, and the email module is among these developments.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I didnot mean an entire app or module. I thought of the possibility that many developing tools give developers possibilities, that are similar and lead to similar results. And above all, known UIs that are convincing will not make developers to think of entirely new concepts. Moreover it's also a question of costs.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

poet-man wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:18 am Steve, what I find 'obvious' is, to be able to use data in a mail module, which is there in the app anyway. Say mail addresses in contacts or other data that I want to link to and which is stored in AEPIM.
I guess it is largely my use case that makes it worthless. I work at my office each day and do all my work from there. I will sometimes on the weekend or evening reply to emails that are sent to me. So the whole issue of perhaps not having email addresses hasn't occurred for me. For whatever reason, when I've emailed someone in Android, it has always had the addresses, perhaps from some google address book coordinated with some program from some distant time.

I appreciate you pointing that out. For me, the more important thing is to have a simple and secure email client. There are so many email clients out there and I can choose from many options. When I find one I really like, I think it unlikely before the product has been out many years, EPIM programmers will be able to match it.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

So for your purpose, you have found your solution. For those who want to have all data in one secure app, it's different. And that's why there are PIMs.
I think arguments have been exchanged quite thouroughly. Thanks for discussion!