Android "Tags Explorer"

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Dierk
Expert

Android "Tags Explorer"

Post by Dierk »

Using EPim Pro 6.0.12

The "Tags Explorer" option in this version results in EPim freezing - opens a black window, and can take several attempts before EPim will re-open to its Android "Home Page."

Ideas?
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: Android "Tags Explorer"

Post by Steve Shank »

I'm sure they'll need more information and assistance reproducing the problem. Tag Explorer Android works fine for me in the Calendar view.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Steve Shank wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:17 pm I'm sure they'll need more information and assistance reproducing the problem. Tag Explorer Android works fine for me in the Calendar view.
Did not think about possible variation between the different modules. In Original post I should have specified that the attempt was while using Notes.

Just now checked the Calendar module: the screen also went blank: HOWEVER, after roughly 30-40 seconds Tags Explorer page popped up.

Returning to the Notes module - with the thought that I was perhaps simply Impatient - clicking on Tags Explorer still goes initially to a blank screen, but after roughly 1 1/2 to 2 minutes the Tags Explorer screen does (finally...) pop up.

So, it appears I was indeed too impatient - but with the ("first world" - ?) Observation that 90 Seconds, or longer, seems an Eternity... :wink:

Thanks for replying: would not have otherwise thought to test using another EPim module!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This issue seems unusual as we have not been able to reproduce it. The tags explorer has been loading instantly on our end. We will investigate the code to identify any potential causes for this behavior.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

A while ago I also reported that it takes AEPIM too long to display the Tags in the tag explorer AND the fact that the order in which the tags are displayed, changes.

I remember from the developers answer that AEPIM displays tags in the order of how many items have each tag (tag with most items on top of list). AEPIM also displays number of tagged items next to each tags. This of course takes a lot of time to calculate in AEPIM if you have a large database.

I then suggested to just display tags in alphabetical order and without the number of tagged items. But this was not considered, if I remember correctly.
admin wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:46 pm This issue seems unusual as we have not been able to reproduce it. The tags explorer has been loading instantly on our end. We will investigate the code to identify any potential causes for this behavior.
In order to reproduce, I guess you would need a database with a large number of tags, a large number of items, and a large number of items that are tagged with a lot of different tags.

Allow me to again suggest to simply have AEPIM display tags in alphabetical in order to speed up the tags explorer.
As a bonus it will be easier to find a tag in a long list - the number of tagged items is not a "logical" order to retrieve a tag in a long list.

EDIT: found the forementioned post
https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=37013
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We will investigate the problem thoroughly and carefully consider the suggested proposals. If alphabetic sorting proves to significantly improve the performance and efficiency of working with the Tags Explorer, we will certainly implement it. Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!