EPIM Synchronizer to new to older version

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

SilverSound
Expert

EPIM Synchronizer to new to older version

Post by SilverSound »

Please consider updating EPIM Synchronizer to sync newer databases to older databases.

Ideally down to version 6.

As older versions do not support all newer features a data loss warning should be shown, but it should be doable.
Rose Ford
Guru

Re: EPIM Synchronizer to new to older version

Post by Rose Ford »

+1 Though I feel like this has been suggested and ignored before.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not open the older database in the newer version of EPIM and then synchronize it using the latest version of EPIM Sync?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I guess SilverSound wants the ability to downgrade the newer database with the synchronizer.
An option that I might be using too, I support his request.
Yesterday I wanted to compare older EPIM versions with the latest beta and I had problems to find the proper back-up to be used in the 10, 11, 11.2.5 versions of EPIM portable.

Like SilverSound writes, that some information and/or features might be lost can be shown in a pop-up to warn the user.
But it gives everyone the option to downgrade the database if they do not like the newest version or need an old datafile for testing.
I have deleted a lot of older versions, but still can go back to version 7.6.2 for testing purposes.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

admin wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:48 am Why not open the older database in the newer version of EPIM and then synchronize it using the latest version of EPIM Sync?
Because as noted by PeCe the goal is to downgrade a database to an older version.

I am tired of all the issues in the current version of EPIM and want to move back to at least v9 before the note zoom feature was added so it will stop causing issues with my writing software.

Though there is also one database I'd like to move all the way back to v6 for better performance.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

I'd +1 a downgrade tool. I also have a database I'd like to move back to v6.

Though if you want an alternative to a down grade tool I'd suggest a spin off product dedicated to privacy, security, and speed.

- Remove email all together from it.
- Remove syncing to non-self hosted options.
- Remove features that cause major slow down like note zoom, rulers..etc. Anything that requires the edit field not to be an edit field since that seems to be one of the major things that tanked performance in notes.
- Treat it like an LTS only give it well tested features from the main program, let beta tests for new versions linger longer and update it far less frequently for anything other than bugs after it's initial refinement releases.

Basically make a modern version of what people actually want from v6. Email and syncing are all more-or-less completely broken, but lots of people still use v6 so obviously we're a bunch of people who don't care about that.

It could be a free perk to all PRO owners and a cheaper than PRO option for people who want more security and don't use the online features of the free version.

It's also a tool that would fit in well for business too. Most business are already going to have an established email/communication system so having it built into EPIM is actually a negative selling point in many ways since it's just a vector for security issues, and lots of unnecessary updates. If you're looking for office management software Calendar/notes/contacts/tasks you tend to want it to be: fast, reliable, scalable, require few updates and most importantly of all get out of your way and let you do your job.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

TumbleDoor wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:19 pm It's also a tool that would fit in well for business too. Most business are already going to have an established email/communication system so having it built into EPIM is actually a negative selling point in many ways since it's just a vector for security issues, and lots of unnecessary updates. If you're looking for office management software Calendar/notes/contacts/tasks you tend to want it to be: fast, reliable, scalable, require few updates and most importantly of all get out of your way and let you do your job.
YES! That's how we are at my company. We have our email software already setup, so we disable that in EPIM and block everything else with a router firewall. We only use network databases and export and lock files when we need to take work home with us, or work on something exclusively. The lock is so no one else edits the file while it's "checked out" then when we're done with the file you reimport it and unlock the file.

Export and reimport also make it so we can be version agnostic at home. The office floor version is pretty old, it's an early version 9 because the later version 9s started having major performance issues in notes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your feedback. We will review the information provided and explore potential solutions.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

I'd like to add support for the idea of making a "spin off" I'd love to have a version dedicated to speed, security, and staying within the private network.

I already run two copies of EPIM one for my email/calendar/tasks, and one for notes/contacts/passwords. So this would fit in perfectly. I'd keep using PRO for email, and the new version for everything else.

I have several reasons for running email on it's own copy:
#1 backups. I don't give a hoot if I have backups of my email. There's backup of all the mail on the mail sever. But I really care a lot about backups of everything else. Having the two combined would inflate my backup size by literal terabytes.
#2 I like my other files to have a different password than my email.
#3 I have my email set to stay unlocked, whereas the other one auto locks.
#4 My notes database is actually a EPIM Network database for access on all computers, whereas my email is local for access on my workstation.
#5 I don't always like being "up-to-date" but because I know email needs security updates and break at any moment because of a tech company change I know that EPIM needs to be ready to update at a moments notice with little hesitation.
... probably more but those are the quick ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Overall just give you a good idea why there are people who would use both versions rather than one or the other.