Search for best practice time recording and tasks

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

daho2018
Guru

Search for best practice time recording and tasks

Post by daho2018 »

Hello together,

I use epim for my daily time tracking, among other things. I have a note per week and a register per day. In these, I record my telephone calls, what I have done etc. in a table. When I have tasks to implement, I use the tasks and note down the to-dos etc. with reference to the note (which unfortunately only applies to the whole note instead of the individual register).

I'm not really happy yet, so I'd like to ask you: Do any of you also have such use cases or ideas for me?

Thanks and greetings
DG
Beta Team

Re: Search for best practice time recording and tasks

Post by DG »

Hi daho2018,

I work in systems and use EPIM to track time for projects, production support, administrative work, etc. For each project, I set up a master task, then I create a subtask each time I do something on that project. This allows me to track time for the week, as well as for the project overall. I don't use Notes for time tracking; Tasks does everything I need.

To document details about a project, I've taken to creating a Note that I link to the master task as a related item.

Hope this helps.

DG
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

Hi @DG,

that sounds interesting. Could you post an example of what such a task or tree looks like for you?

How is the handling when you supervise different projects on one day? Is your structure also set up in such a way that you can easily filter, e.g. what you did on 05.06.?

Thanks for your input.
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

I handle multiple projects and tasks each day and EPIM makes tracking them easy. And, with a date filter, I can go back to see what I did on certain days. I'll put together an example.
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

DG wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:45 pm I'll put together an example.
I look forward to the example
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

Please see the attachment for screenshots and explanations of how I have configured EPIM to manage projects and track time. If you have any questions, feel free to start a conversation.

Examples of EPIM for time tracking.zip
(633.26 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by DG on Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

Hi DG,

Very impressive, in my opinion. A very effective way of capturing and filtering.

I especially like the approach of filtering on the start date.

How do you handle tasks that you work on different days, do you create a new task or copy an existing one?

How do you process screenshots? Unfortunately, it is not possible to store images within the tasks (I have already come up with an idea for this), so I have always stored them in the notes, with a reference to the task.

Greetings
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

@daho2018,

Thanks for your feedback and questions.
How do you handle tasks that you work on different days, do you create a new task or copy an existing one?
I copy a task and paste. This way I have to change only the dates and notes for the new entry,
How do you process screenshots?
For screenshots and more extensive documentation, like technical specs or project requirements, I create a note in the Notes module, then link it to the master task, where it appears as a related item and EPIM automatically links the task to the note. This makes it easy and fast to navigate back and forth from tasks to documentation.

Another point, when I am done with a project, I export all of its tasks to another EPIM database and delete them from my working database. More than once I have been asked about time I spent, and this history has been handy.
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

I already suspected that about the notes. I've been testing the methodology for myself since yesterday. It's a bit unusual and requires a bit of effort, but it's ideal for research purposes and proof.

Do you work with a list in which you maintain your projects, or do you use a separate list for each client?

I would tend to choose a list per client, so that I could quickly distinguish between them and still have the chance to display a comprehensive list through the filter options.
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

I have two lists: one for personal tasks and another for work, where I organize my tasks by category and time codes.

It sounds like your work is such that a list for each client would be efficient. The consolidated view allows you to see everything together when you need the comprehensive overview.
HarrietAllen

Post by HarrietAllen »

Hello,
I love how you use EPIM for time tracking and task management. If you're looking to improve your workflow, you might consider creating separate notes for individual registers, which can bring a greater level of detail to your tasks. And exploring EPIM's features and settings can provide insights into how to better organize your to-dos and references. You can share any specific challenges you're facing, and the community can offer more tailored advice. Best wishes and happy organization
On apktome, visit the website link you can download free farm games where you can become a real farmer, manage the farm, grow crops, take care of animals and interact with the community to build a prosperous farm.