EPIM Taskbar icon missing

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

Re: EPIM Taskbar icon missing

Post by admin »

If you delete an executable file, it's possible that Windows may have difficulty displaying the correct icon due to its icon caching mechanism.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,
Issue remains on my end - I'm using WEPIM Pro Portable 11.5.1 on Windows 10.
Looks like taskbar settings matter. In "Taskbar settings > Combine taskbar buttons":
  • "Always hide labels" shows a white blanc icon for EPIM
  • "Never" shows the correct icon for EPIM
Hope that helps.
blaubaer11
Expert

Post by blaubaer11 »

Hallo, seit heute schaff ich es gar nicht mehr das Icon in "bunt" darzustellen. Nachdem es jetzt mehrere Wochen richtig dargestellt wurde ist es jetzt wieder weiß. Es hilft auch nicht der Trick mit dem An- und Abheften an der Taskleiste und macht auch keinen Unterschied ob ich die Pro- oder die free.exe zum Starten nutze. Das Icon bleibt das "weiße Blatt".
Ich nutze die Free-Version 11.5.1 unter win 11.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

kdgdr wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:26 am Hi,
Issue remains on my end - I'm using WEPIM Pro Portable 11.5.1 on Windows 10.
Looks like taskbar settings matter. In "Taskbar settings > Combine taskbar buttons":
  • "Always hide labels" shows a white blanc icon for EPIM
  • "Never" shows the correct icon for EPIM
Hope that helps.
Unfortunately the problem reappeared at my side, and I can confirm that the icon shows/disappears while flipping the setting you are referring to. That said, it is not normal to show taskbar icons with the name of every executable you have running. At least I have never had this setting turned on before.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

admin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:55 am If you delete an executable file, it's possible that Windows may have difficulty displaying the correct icon due to its icon caching mechanism.
Fair enought, but I still have two questions:
1) Does the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file have any relevance in running the professional version of this software? My assumption is that I can't see why this file should be needed if you don't use the free version?
2) Question 2 is related to the first one. Why should the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file be relevant to whether the icon for the EssentialPIM.exe executable will show correctly? Can't really understand why so?

Cheers
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. You are correct that running EssentialPIM Pro does not require the file in question, and there may be other unnecessary files as well, depending on your usage of the program.
2. I guess this is more of a rhetorical question, as Windows is responsible for operating these mechanisms.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

Just want to say that this problem still is present in the 11.5.2 version of the program. You can work around it by modyfying icons in software shortcuts and so on, but you would expect to be able to start the .exe file directly without having problems with the icon in the taskbar.

Cheers
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

I know this might be a little much for some users, but it really works. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had any problems.

1. Copy the newest EssentialPIM Icon.

2. Go to Programs Folder at the end of the path using file explorer.

To locate the Programs Folder for the current user in Windows 11/10, go down the following path:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

3. Open the Programs Folder.

4. Look for an Epim white Icon, rename to disable it.

5. Paste the new Icon into Programs Folder to replace the disabled Icon.

It wont matter to leave the disabled Icon in the folder.

6. Restart computer and check to see if Epim Icon is OK.

Please let me know if it works.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

Hi, there @VictorParkerPIM / @Admin

I am using the portable version of the program. I don't have an EssentialPIM icon file in the (portable) program folder, but I do have an EssentialPIM icon file in the temp subfolder of the program folder with a random name.

So I finally think I understand what have changed from earlier versions here.

1. Let's say you are starting EssentialPIM.exe for the first time
2. An EssentialPIM icon file is created under <path to your essentialpim folder>\temp\ with a random name
3. A shortcut is created under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\. The icon in the taskbar works.
4. If you close the program file and restart it, the shortcut in the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ will still point to the icon file with the last random name, which doesn't exist any longer, because that file is deleted as a part of the new program execution, and you'll find the same icon file with a new random file name in the temp folder. Now the taskbar icon is NOT working. The reason for this is that the icon pointer in the shortcut is pointing to the old random named icon file.
5. If you delete the shortcut in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ before you start the program again, a new shortcut is created which also uses the same icon (new) icon file created with a new random name.

If I remember correctly you could earlier see a lot of essentialpim icon files in that temp folder if you had run the executable several times. Know you have some sort of "cleanup" at each program execution, but the icon path in the shortcut under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ is not updated accordingly.

@Admin:
This seems like a code bug. Just a suggestion from my side; Why can't you just call this icon file EssentialPIM.ico without any random filename like tmp951763298.ico? Then it would actually work as it should on every execution.

This is reproducable by starting the exe file directly from the program folder, or by starting the program from the start menu, or by starting the program shortcut in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\.

EssentialPIM 11.2.4 created one new icon file pr execution, and the last used icon file would always be available. From version 11.2.5 and forward, every icon file in program folder\temp is first deleted on a new execution, and a new iconfile with a new random name is created. The shortcut though, still points to the icon file from the previous execution. So either the icon file should have a static name, or you need to also delete and recreate the shortcut under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\.

Cheers

VictorParkerPIM wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:46 pm I know this might be a little much for some users, but it really works. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had any problems.

1. Copy the newest EssentialPIM Icon.

2. Go to Programs Folder at the end of the path using file explorer.

To locate the Programs Folder for the current user in Windows 11/10, go down the following path:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

3. Open the Programs Folder.

4. Look for an Epim white Icon, rename to disable it.

5. Paste the new Icon into Programs Folder to replace the disabled Icon.

It wont matter to leave the disabled Icon in the folder.

6. Restart computer and check to see if Epim Icon is OK.

Please let me know if it works.
Attachments
11.2.4.temp.jpg
11.2.5.temp.jpg
11.2.5.temp.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Wrong icon pointer.jpg
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

You could also copy one of the temp icon files from the temp folder to the program folder, rename it to for example epim.ico, and then change the shortcut to use that icon file. Then the taskbar icon will work on every execution. If you try to rename the icon file in the temp folder, it will be deleted as part of the cleanup on every execution.

This should be pretty easy to fix if you look in the code, but it will confuse users that doesn't know how to fix it. The icon file itself could be a static named file in the program folder. It is no reason to recreate it every time the program is started?
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

I haven't used the portable version, so I can't comment on it.

I use Windows 11, latest ver. Going to the Program folder and change the Icon it works great for me in every way.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz, Win11 Pro Ver. 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1778) 64-bit, 32GB Ram, 500gb M.2 SSD, 4Km, EPIMPro Life 11.5.3, Joined: Feb 02, 2010
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

This seems to work for Portable version as well:
Skynet wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:58 pm You could also copy one of the temp icon files from the temp folder to the program folder, rename it to for example epim.ico, and then change the shortcut to use that icon file. Then the taskbar icon will work on every execution.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Skynet and VictorParkerPIM, thank you both for providing valuable information. We are currently investigating the matter, and I anticipate that there will be positive changes implemented in the upcoming version of EPIM.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

As far as I can see ... this problem is now solved in newer versions of the software.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the update! We appreciate your cooperation.