Default email account for new messages

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

SkipHill
Novice

Default email account for new messages

Post by SkipHill »

Latest epim 11.5.1 desktop lifetime pro.

When the nav frame is active on the left and I click New Message. If the nav is on an account, that's the default for FROM in the new message, great. If the nav is on All Inboxes however, FROM is set to one of the accounts, which is not the first in the nav tree list, nor the default account. I expected the default in Tools>Account settings to the the default FROM account for a new message. Is there some other way to control that?
SkipHill
Novice

Re: Default email account for new messages

Post by SkipHill »

Ok, you developers will love finding this one. So I was having trouble with one of my email account syncs, happened to be Google, so I deleted the sync data, sync settings, and the account and recreated it. NOW the default FROM email is the default from Account Settings, AND the first one in the nav list.

Issue resolved, but there's tweaky something in there somewhere that sets/determines default FROM account.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Donot seem to understand it, so please help:
How do I set the default account, which is used when I create a mail? And how do I change the default account which is used?
Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tools->Account Settings->Set Default. This option is utilized when the incoming email message's 'To' field does not match any of the email addresses added to EPIM, including identities.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
SkipHill
Novice

Post by SkipHill »

There's a misunderstanding here, maybe it's mine. I was asking about the default account for new messages I WAS CREATING TO SEND. If that setting is truly related to incoming messages, maybe there is no default for user created new messages, and it's based only on the selection in the account nav panel. In which case, it was somehow confused and fixed itself when I deleted/recreated an account.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Skiphill,

I have 2 accounts. Under Tools->Account Settings->Set Default, when one of those 2 accounts are highlighted, the Set Default button is greyed out. That account is already the default. When I highlight the other, that button becomes active...I can change the default to it.

If you have selected a specific account on the left side, that will be the "from" in a created email. Otherwise, when you create an email with "All Inboxes" selected, the *selected default* is the "From" address.

Does this make sense?

Bill
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@kb
It's all as you say on my side ... only the last sentence is different.
When I create an email with "All Inboxes" selected, the "From" address is the one, which was used as "To" adress by the mail, which is selected in All Inboxes.
That's what I find when creating a mail.
I wonder what is the special purpose for the account, set as default in account settings.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
SkipHill
Novice

Post by SkipHill »

Bill first. Thanks for the carefully worded response and example, which was what I mentioned in the original post, EXCEPT. "with All Inboxes select the *selected default* is the From Address". Confirming; does that mean the "selected default" in the accounts list will be the FROM address when "All Inboxes" is selected? That's more than what *admin* indicated, which was that it was the default account FOR INBOUND EMAIL when it didn't match any accounts. Not sure I know how I could receive an email for an account that is not listed, but that probably conveys my lack of a detailed understanding of email message contents/fields.

poet-man
Very interesting, thanks for the detailed inspection of what actually happens. I didn't recurse that deeply when I was testing, but that is exactly what I see as well now.

So maybe the "selected default" in the account list REALLY IS the account that emails with unrecognized accounts go, as admin said. Works for me.

And, BTW EPIM design/developers, very nice UI functionality.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

In generell:
I would like to have a functionality, that I can set an account as the one, which always is used as FROM, when creating a mail.
Why? I donot want that recipiants get the information, that I have another account than the one, I normally use for sending a mail.
Is there a possibility to do this?
OR ... is there a possibility to assign a sending-account to an adress, so when writing a mail to a certain adress, EPIM will always use the same account?
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

All,

My apologies, my response was INCORRECT. Upon further testing, it appears whichever account was the last one selected regardless of which is chosen as "default" is what becomes the "From" in a newly created email.

That leads to a question for the admin: what is the point of selecting one as default?

Bill
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Very true! That was my question as well, further up the thread. So just for clarification this would be worth knowing
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kindly refer to my previous post. The default account is utilized in cases where it's unclear which account or identity to use in the From field when composing a new message or replying to an existing one.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Ok, so the default is there, just in case! This thread made the impression there are no such unclear situations
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

Now you have my curiosity up...

When I reply to a message from either of my 2 accounts, the "from" field is filled with the account the original email was sent to. When I create a new email, the "from" field is filled with the last selected account, even if neither account is currently selected.

Under what circumstances would the account be unclear and have to rely on the default account to populate the "from" field?

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How can an email account not be selected? I can think of only one possible variant and that is when an All Inboxes option is used.

If you have set up an alias or forward on the server that automatically forwards emails sent to one of your email addresses to another, and you are using the 'All Inboxes' option or 'Local Folders' for your POP accounts, EssentialPIM needs to determine which email address to use when replying to the forwarded message.