Mail. List of last used files for attachments

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

DaxAtDS9
Expert

Mail. List of last used files for attachments

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

Hi.
I’m creating pdf files for my invoices and send them as an email attachment to my customers.
Outlook has the ability to show me the last used / created files from my system. As soon as I am clicking on the paperclip to attach something to the email, that lists shows up and I can easily choose the pdf invoice I’ve created some seconds before.

On Epim I can’t do that and have to search for it on my desktop.

A list of last three created files seems to be a useful feature.

It’s not my screenshot, but it shows, what I am meaning
Attachments
IMG_0558.jpeg
From Exchange to Epim Pro with blood, sweat and tears.
English / Deutsch
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: Mail. List of last used files for attachments

Post by Steve Shank »

I do exactly what you do, and EPIM does exactly what you want. So, what are we doing differently? I've been doing bills, so I tested by simply starting a new email and clicking on the attachments. This is what I get.
bills.jpg
As you can see, it shows the bills I was doing today, I have the folder sorted so the newest are on top.

Apparently, I'm able to knock them off at one per minute.

I think these were printed, as I've only moved about half my clients over to electronic billing, but I print bills to pdf regardless so I have a copy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe DaxAtDS9 is referring to a slightly different feature, which involves displaying a list of recently created (modified/accessed?) files from various directories on the system. We will add this to our list of potential future features. Thank you!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

Strange.... If I created a pdf invoice (without printing) and open a news mail, clicking on attachments opens the document folder.... not the destiny folder of the last invoice nore (better way) "recent files"
English / Deutsch
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I think the Admin explained the confusion. Once I have attached a file inside EPIM, then subsequent attachments will go to the same folder. So, when I'm doing reports, after the first one, all of them go to the reports folder for the subsequent 20 reports. When I do the bills later, after the first one, which started by opening in the reports folder, all the rest open in the bills folder. This works great for me because I am more likely to want to do the same thing I did in the same program the next time.

What they think you want, if I understand Admin correctly, is to ignore the program, and either use or present a list of recently used files by any program in the operating system. So, a saved word document, or bill, or image would be presented as options within and EPIM email attachment. The idea being you are more likely to want to attach something your recently worked on.

I don't find that system as intuitive because, most programs don't work that way. For example, the default for most browsers is to save to either Downloads or last saved to folder, not the last folder used by anything which would cause our files to be spread out all over anywhere. But SAVE AS lets us save to any folder.

A third way it is sometimes done, is to allow us to add Favorite folders to the list. I would add, "Transfer" "client reports" and "bills" to EPIM because attachments nearly always are from one of those three folders.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The feature requested by DaxAtDS9 should be an addition to the currently working "Insert Attachment" option, so there's no need to worry about it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

Admin is right. It’s a additional feature before opening any folder.

@Steve Shank: it’s a feature suggestion for creating and sending ONE file after the other. Then the workflow would be.
1. create invoice (or whatever)
2. open new Mal
3. (New feature) click on a drop-down arrow on the attachment button (or maybe rightclick) to open a max. 5-10 item list where you’ll find the just created file on top of that list, instead of searching for it’s folder
OR
4. click on attachments to open file explorer (as usual) to attach whatever you want, starting from the last folder as you described.
English / Deutsch