Location manager

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Rasna
Experienced

Location manager

Post by Rasna »

Hi,

I believe it would be nice to have a location manager that works as the tag manager does.
Basically, when I add a location to a task or a calendar entry, I have a long list of addresses.
It would be nice to have a small tool where we can set an address and its alias, so to have only the alias shown.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Location manager

Post by admin »

Thank you for your suggestion. However, if only the alias is shown, how would you be able to view the real address when needed? Could you provide us with more details on how you envision this feature working?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rasna
Experienced

Post by Rasna »

Hi,
I use a lot of tasks to program my activities in both the long and short run.
While for calendar entries it makes sense to use full addresses (but even here it would be good to have the choice to use aliases), for my tasks it would be easier to have location aliases to be able to quickly filter them when I am at one of those locations or when planning my day.
For example, I am a scout leader and there are four places I use more often (group HQ, zone HQ, church, playfield).
Having the full address on the fields in task view takes up a lot of space, while if I could simply use "Group HQ", which I already know where it is, it would be less cluttered and easier to find.
The same for work tasks (Office, Client 1, Client 2...).

So, when I am at the "playground", I can simply filter the list by alias and see the full list of tasks that need to be done there.
I know I can simply use "playground" in the location field but, just like tags, after some time it tends to become very cluttered, so having a location manager would allow me to do some cleaning and reorganization from time to time.
Also, "playground" means something only for me, so it could be useful to be able to check what "playground" corresponds to, in case others are seeing my list (this could be also useful for the business version).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the explanation, will consider this suggestion.

Location manager is already available if you select Manage Locations... option from the locations drop-down list.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Rasna
Experienced

Post by Rasna »

Thank you :) integrating location aliases to the location manager would be a great addition for me :)