is it possible to SQL query the Essential PIM database file

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

surya
Novice

is it possible to SQL query the Essential PIM database file

Post by surya »

Hi ,
I would like to know whether it is possible to SQL query the database file using firebird software independently out of Essential PIM ?
Of course I need to know the tables structure or the schema inside this file. Will you will be willing to give us this schema of tables at least for the email section of it, to enable us to query it independently ?

I have no problem of signing an NDA. I have an 80 GB of office data now - all of which is just email from before 2012. Hence I wish to experiment with SQL on this file and if it crashes in the future be able to retrieve data this way.
Please let me know.
--
Sincerely,
Surya, India
admin
Site Admin

Re: is it possible to SQL query the Essential PIM database file

Post by admin »

It is possible, please check the following topic for more info: viewtopic.php?t=10650
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
surya
Novice

Post by surya »

Hi,
Thank you for the pointer. But I did not find a clear answer. Did you make a documentation on the database design or an API to access it. if it is now made given that so many evinced interest in that thread in 2011-12, can you please point me to that direction.

Sorry if I have missed it and am asking you to point at it again in that thread.
--
Sincerely,
Surya@India
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's no much interest apart from the one in the topic, so there's no additional progress. If you have some specific questions, please feel free to ask.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

We use an old copy of RazerSQL to interact directly with the EPIM database.

Newer copies of RazerSQL could work. We've just moved entirely over to Heidi SQL for everything else and only keep the old copy of RazerSQL around for EPIM. (RazerSQL is $100 per user per year. It's not a subscription so after the year you keep the old version you paid for, thus why we keep an old version of it around for EPIM but use Heidi for everything newer.)
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Rose Ford wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 am We use an old copy of RazerSQL to interact directly with the EPIM database.

Newer copies of RazerSQL could work. We've just moved entirely over to Heidi SQL for everything else and only keep the old copy of RazerSQL around for EPIM. (RazerSQL is $100 per user per year. It's not a subscription so after the year you keep the old version you paid for, thus why we keep an old version of it around for EPIM but use Heidi for everything newer.)
Is there any reason for not using Heidi SQL for EPIM? I'm asking as I just starting to investigate a SQL front end for EPIM for occasional inqeury use.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
surya
Novice

Post by surya »

Ok, can you at least post the Database model with or without the views, implemented in the backend database file so that I can use that to query.
--
Surya@India
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

ecsaltz wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:32 pm Is there any reason for not using Heidi SQL for EPIM? I'm asking as I just starting to investigate a SQL front end for EPIM for occasional inqeury use.
Heidi SQL only supports firebird 3x and 4x well.
EPIM runs on 2x

It's worth noting 2.5 support ended in 2019 and by that time it was already fairly unpopular as most people had moved to version 3 that came out in 2016.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Rose Ford wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:38 pm
Heidi SQL only supports firebird 3x and 4x well.
EPIM runs on 2x

It's worth noting 2.5 support ended in 2019 and by that time it was already fairly unpopular as most people had moved to version 3 that came out in 2016.
Thanks, Rose. Any recommendations for current free/low cost SQL that would work with EPIM?
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surya, you can create a new EPIM db file and then open it with a suitable SQL editing tool (Interbase Query, for instance) to get a database model and its structure. Hope that's what you were looking for.
surya
Novice

Post by surya »

I got the following error on trying to use the software you suggested. I also posted the first opening screen below. Please let me know where I am going wrong.
ERROR#1.jpg
FIRST_SCREEN#1.jpg
Please let me know where I am going wrong.
--
Sincerely,
Surya@India
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess this is more of a question for the software author. My assumption would be that the error has something to do with the Firebird server version. You can click on Help->About and check which Firebird version is mentioned as the "Client".
surya
Novice

Post by surya »

He is using version 4.0.2 beta.
2023-03-30 18_46_51-About.....jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It should be 2.5.