free version

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Hugo
Novice

free version

Post by Hugo »

I use EssentialPim free version vr. 11.2.4.
Today, EP says to me that is a new version 11.2.5. I authorized it to install the new version, but it had installed a trial version PRO, not a free version.
I have gone to your site, in the link https://essentialpim.com/features/overview/pro-vs-free, and in the bottom, there is a link to EssentialPim Free, for non commercial use only. I have clicked in it: https://www.essentialpim.com/download/EssentialPIM.exe, but it again downloads only the trial version PRO.
Can you help me to obtain the new free version, for use non commercial, please?
Thanks.
71MGB

Re: free version

Post by 71MGB »

Hi, I found a fix for this, in the EssentialPIM folder there is an EssentialPIM.exe file and an EssentialPIM_free.exe file, delete the EssentialPIM.exe file and rename the 'free' one to EssentialPIM.exe.
I found that just running the EssentialPIM_free.exe file did not work for some reason.
But I think I will go back to 11.2.4 as the first thing I noticed was that the email message body text is a lot smaller in 2.5 and I can't find any way to enlarge it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Regarding the Free version, please see my replies here (they're in English, even though the topic is in the German part of the forum): https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=37762.

With regards to the smaller text for emails. Could you please share couple of screenshots demonstrating the problem? Also note, you can always use Ctrl+ and Ctrl - (Ctrl+Shift+0 to reset zoom level) shortcuts for zooming in/out.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Hugo
Novice

Post by Hugo »

I disapprove of this regrettable decision by EP, which in my opinion should be submitted to the company's ombudsman. First, it misleads consumers, as the link says they are downloading the free version, when in fact they are downloading the paid trial version; also the installed version creates confusion in consumers as they don't understand how they installed a paid trial version when they thought they had installed a free version. Finally, they make consumers waste time with useless complaints and reinstallations, when loyalty should have taught the company another path.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We updated the web site to reflect the recent changes.
Shaun
Novice

Post by Shaun »

Hallo EPim Support, There is also the potential problem, that new trial users, and previous users of the free version, will use 'pro' only features of EPim, which will cause problems when reverting to the 'free' version, and these features are not available.
I would also like to have a fixed 'free' version available for download so I can safely update my existing 'free' version.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shaun wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:22 pm Hallo EPim Support, There is also the potential problem, that new trial users, and previous users of the free version, will use 'pro' only features of EPim, which will cause problems when reverting to the 'free' version, and these features are not available.
In this case you can always get the Pro version and at the same time support development of the program.
Shaun wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:22 pmI would also like to have a fixed 'free' version available for download so I can safely update my existing 'free' version.
The desktop Free version users will get updated to the new Free version right away, if you're a user of the portable Free version, you'd need to go through the trial period just once, next update will bring you straight to the Free version.
Hugo
Novice

Post by Hugo »

Hi, admin.
I've seen the updated links in your site; now it is OK.
I think you should put your notes (supra) in the link, to help users in their decisions.
If I stay using the 11.2.4 version (portable) just to the next update, I will be free from the risk to get the PRO version while the next month?
Or may I do the 71MGB suggestion (rename the free file)?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's "supra"? Which link?
If you use the Portable version, you'll get the Pro version features for 30 days for free. It will not matter if you stay on 11.2.4 or update to 11.2.5. You can also rename the file as 71MGB suggested.
Hugo
Novice

Post by Hugo »

Hi, admin.
I'm sorry, I was not clear. "Supra" is a latin word (= above). I want to suggest you to put some informations in EP free download link, like this:
"The desktop Free version users will get updated to the new Free version right away; if you're a user of the portable Free version, you'd need to go through the trial period just once, next update will bring you straight to the Free version". That is what you said to Shaun.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, thanks for the clarification!
71MGB

Post by 71MGB »

admin, sorry about late reply - re "With regards to the smaller text for emails. Could you please share couple of screenshots demonstrating the problem? Also note, you can always use Ctrl+ and Ctrl - (Ctrl+Shift+0 to reset zoom level) shortcuts for zooming in/out"

I was using ctrl+mouse wheel but it was not saving the changes though this has started working now but I am unable to get the alternate lies colour working in the appearance section of settings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You should also enable the lines via View->Show Alternate Line Colors.