POP3 + IMAP

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

a8907433
Guru

POP3 + IMAP

Post by a8907433 »

I use POP3 for email for 30 years on my Desktop now, and I am satisfied with it. But on my Smartphone I have IMAP. That works too, off course, but I miss many of my older emails, they aren´t anymore on the server.
What will happen, when I create an IMAP account for the SAME EMAILADRESS as my POP3 is? Will I be able to create some new folders where I can copy old emails from POP3 to the IMAP server? I want to copy old email from my POP3 folders to IMAP, so that I can have this old mails on my smartphone too. Is this possible?
Or will the AEPIM in future versions have the possibillity to import old mails?

What should I do?
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: POP3 + IMAP

Post by Steve Shank »

Imap will sync between the cloud and your computer. So, unless you've specified somehow that they not be synced (like the Thunderbird Local folders), then when you setup the IMAP account and move emails and / or folders into it, they will get synced to the cloud. What an Android email program will sync automatically is a question because some programs might limit how much they save on your phone by default because of space worries and there might be options to control it. AquaMail syncs the inbox automatically, then any other folder when I open them. As far as I can tell, it doesn't ever remove anything. That's ok with me, so I haven't searched for more options.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve is right, you can add an IMAP account into EPIM, copy or move your emails from the POP3 account that are no longer on the server into some folder(s) for the added IMAP account and all these moved messages will be synchronized with the server. As for the Android part, Steve was also right on point.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Thank you, that answers my question!

I can add IMAP in addition to POP3 for the same emailadress and it will work. Just feared that would mess up my mailaccount. Yes, I use AquaMail too- and hopes for mailmodule in AEPIM!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Now I created the IMAP account, it works. I created a new folder and copied old messages into it (in EPIM). But, I don´t see this folder on my IMAP account in the smartphone!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Check what appears in windows webmail. That'll give you a direct look onto the server storing your emails.

Next I'd check the properties for a folder that isn't appearing and be sure it is set to synchronize full messages.

I know that in AquaMail on my phone nothing gets synchronized except the inbox until I open the folders and subfolders containing the emails. So, if I have an inbox with a steve subfolder, and an important sub-sub-folder, I'll have to open the steve subfolder, and then the important sub-folder before messages will be downloaded since the last sync.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I know that in AquaMail on my phone nothing gets synchronized except the inbox until I open the folders and subfolders containing the emails. So, if I have an inbox with a steve subfolder, and an important sub-sub-folder, I'll have to open the steve subfolder, and then the important sub-folder before messages will be downloaded since the last sync.
Yes, It was a setting in Aquamail. Thank you!

But now, I have another problem in EPIM (Windows): I know, there was a setting, which account to look up for emails, somwhere in "Account Settings". I don´t want EPIM look up for emails twice for the same acccount (once POP3, once IMAP). But now, for the first time in really need this setting, I can´t find it!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In Account Settings select your mail account you don't want to receive new mail for, click on the Edit button, switch to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Include this account when receiving mail" option.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

In Account Settings select your mail account you don't want to receive new mail for, click on the Edit button, switch to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Include this account when receiving mail" option.
Got it, thank you! I only looked into "Server Settings".....
I remember, in former versions this setting was somewhere on an other place...
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

"include this account when receiving email" is turned off- it seems not to work.

Now I get my emails two times: once POP3, once IMAP.
But I want IMAP only for old emails from POP3 to android- which works. But there is no need for getting emails (IMAP) in EPIM....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For IMAP type of email accounts you need to disable folder synchronization by clicking on the Manage Folders button on the toolbar.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Thank you!

I missed that, because in POP3 there aren´t theese buttons....