Sync over Wifi speed

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

kdgdr
Guru

Sync over Wifi speed

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Syncing over wifi between WEPIM/AEPIM with option "2-way sync" (which I normally use) takes a very long time: several minutes.
For an issue mentionned in another topic, I recently had no other option than to clear all my data on AEPIM side and then perform a "1-way sync" from WEPIM to AEPIM. I noticed that this went a lot faster: under 1 minute.
Can 2-way sync be optimised so that it is faster, like 1-way sync please?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sync over Wifi speed

Post by admin »

When you do 1-way sync the amount of data being transferred is 2 times less. Although I agree, 2 minutes is way too long especially for consecutive synchronizations as usually the process takes just couple of seconds. We'd probably need to see your log file to understand why there's such a delay.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

@admin
I sent you my logs in my PM dated Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:40 pm related to another issue/topic.
Maybe you can find what you're looking for there?

BTW, it's way more than 2 minutes for a sync: more like 4 to 5 minutes at least.

Using latest versions of WEPIM and AEPIM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, thanks, the log file is huge. And there's lots of attachments being synchronized. All the consecutive synchronizations should happen almost instantly unless there's another batch of newly attached files to participate in the process.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

So far no delay on my side, as to 2-way sync (11.1.11/6.0.9).
However I donot sync attachments.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

@admin
there's lots of attachments being synchronized. All the consecutive synchronizations should happen almost instantly unless there's another batch of newly attached files to participate in the process.
I'm afraid that's not the case, because:
  • all these attachments have been in my database for a long time, I rarely add attachtments
  • yet, each sync does take a very long time, even if no attachments were added
To provide you with extra information, here 's what I have done:
  1. First I did a 2-way sync WEPIM/AEPIM to get exactly the same data on both sides. Then I waited a few minutes in which I did not change anything on either side.
  2. Then I did a new 2-way sync WEPIM/AEPIM. Obviously no changes needed to be transferred in this sync, since no changes were made on either side since the previous sync A.
I recorded the "Synchonization status"-window while performing the sync B. I will send you the recording in a PM, along with the Log files.
  • You will see that sync B takes 6 minutes and 33 seconds, although no changes whatsoever needed to be synced.
  • You can fast-scroll through the recording to find out how long each step takes. You will find that attachments take little to no time, just like appointments, etc. ...: most time is used for syncing of Tasks.
Hope that helps!
My setup:
WEPIM ProPort. 11.6.5 on Windows 10 <2-way sync over Wifi> AEPIM 6.0.13 on Samsung A52s 5G (Android 12 - One UI 4.1)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks, the log files for each of the cases (A and B) will be of great help.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Any news on what 's causing tasks to sync so slow and how I could reduce sync time for tasks?
admin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:09 pm Great, thanks, the log files for each of the cases (A and B) will be of great help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The number of tasks is the cause here. We'll try to optimize the process in the new versions.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,
In that case I'm really looking forward to the new version.

Meanwhile, do you think I could reduce sync-time by placing tasks that I don't need on a daily basis in AEPIM on a private tab in WEPIM? If so, how much tasks could I keep on non-private tabs in order to reduce sync speed to about max. 30 seconds?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that would definitely help. I'd experiment with the number of tasks. Say, try to start with half and see how much gain you get.