Text formatting problems on epim for Android

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
ulirk
Novice

Text formatting problems on epim for Android

Post by ulirk »

(Latest version on Android 12)

Time and time again, I observe that ePIM seems to have great difficulties in saving text formatting permanently or re-displaying it.

In many paragraphs, both for long and short notes, spaces are ignored when retrieved, words are moved to a new line, or in the worst case partially or completely deleted. This seems to be the case fairly often when special characters, punctuation marks, and formatting features are used within the text to line up a bulleted list. The indentation of whole sentences or paragraphs messes up the formatting of the entire text in ways that require a lot of effort to restore notes to a readable state after using this function. Marking text with color highlights or backgrounds does show up before syncing to the cloud (Google Drive) but is lost when revisited. Thus, this function seems to be superfluous.

The problems described are at present permanently reproducible, which is why I consider 3 possible sources for failure:
  • Bad programming
    Problems with the syncing process
    Google Drive
I can't think of a fourth reason at the moment. Perhaps someone can fill me in on my possible knowledge gap in this regard.

Is there a solution or one in the pipeline?

P.S.: I just found out that images saved locally on the mobile (JPG format) also disappear from the landing page they were placed on (often including the text paragraph right beneath it) after saving and syncing to the cloud as soon as the relevant entry gets reloaded.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Text formatting problems on epim for Android

Post by admin »

Is there a specific list of steps for the issues you describe?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ulirk
Novice

Post by ulirk »

admin wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 pm Is there a specific list of steps for the issues you describe?
I don't do anything special in my opinion, just what the app allows me to do.

The paragraphs in my error description "Text formatting problems on epim for Android" in here forum on this topic should be able to serve as an example text, since they contain some special characters, as I described them at the beginning:

I wrote this text using the notes module under the heading "Private/Mails", saved it, and then selected another heading, while the app indicated by the "Nightrider" bar that it was synchronizing the written file with the directory it had created on Google Drive. The steps could be titled as follows:

1. Launching the app
2. Opening the category and the tab for my written email drafts
3. Writing process, error checking, and formatting of paragraphs and bullets
4. Saving
5. Switching to another section (watching the "Nightrider" bar)
6. Returning to the composed e-mail
7. Noting the errors that occurred (In this case for documentation: recording a screengrab)

Nothing out of the ordinary on my part, I believe.

Based on the screen grabs, you can see that during step "3" the app still shows all the bold formatting, but by step "7" it no longer renders it.

Formatted with bold letters
Formatted with bold letters
Lost formatting after re-loading
Lost formatting after re-loading

On the matter of the images embedded in the text, the fault lies with me. I had not noticed that the image format was *WEBP. Obviously, this could not be saved together with the rest of the entry, because epim does not support this format.
ulirk
Novice

Post by ulirk »

Part of the bug persists at the moment. :(

As you can see on the latest screengrab, bold font within a text column still leads to an interruption of the line flow. However, the use of text highlights by means of colored backgrounds or coloring of letter sequences has improved.

EPIM_Screen_Bold.Text.Issue_2023-01-12_123303.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info, will check it out.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!