New EPIM Cloud

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
a8907433
Guru

New EPIM Cloud

Post by a8907433 »

Yesterday I loged in to EPIM Cloud and found a completely new cloud! I think it´s a very improved version of the cloud!

Some points and questions:

1) Now you can delete all your files, empty cloud and start a fresh synchronized db. Very good!

2) Email: a) Is it possible to ad a second account? b) I use POP3, would it be possible to save ones POP3-Emails to cloud? Not for log-in, just for transfering the POP3-emails from PC to (Windows) tablet.

3) Contacts: I know, the primary use of cloud is synchronizing between devices, but you can also log in with Internetbrowser. a) In the new version there are no pictures for each contact- but they where very usefull for quick identification of the contact in the previous version! b) the notes for contacts are only a very small window and resizing does not work very well or nothing at all. Why not show the notes the whole size of the parent window?

4) Calendar: All apointments are shown in the same, ugly purple. I use different colors in EPIM to distinguish them!

5) security: NextCloud says, "your data are NOT encrypted", EPIM website says "EPIM Cloud transparently synchronizes all your EssentialPIM data across Windows and Android devices through a secure cloud." How does this fit together?

6) Different devices: I have my whole db transfered (one way synchronization) from PC to tablet, but only part of the db on my mobile phone. (modified, different db). Storage of Cloud size is 2GB now, my PC db is 500Mb with POP3 emails, 250Mb without emails- my db for the android device (without notes, emails) is only 16Mb. So, there would be plenty place for TWO synchronizing profiles for TWO devices!
admin
Site Admin

Re: New EPIM Cloud

Post by admin »

2. a. Not possible at the moment. b. POP3 protocol is for getting emails from the server, not for uploading them. IMAP is the one you need. Or you can always choose to leave mail on the server in settings for pop3 protocol accounts.
3. a. This seems like a bug, will fix it in the next update, thanks for the info. b. Please address your request here: https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts#readme (see the Support section).
4. Appointments carry out the background color of the calendar they belong to. So you can change the calendar's color if you don't like the default one.
5. You do understand there's different layers of encryption? First of all, data is protected during synchronization/transfer between your PC and the server (via a TLS protocol used by HTTPS). Secondly, there's storage server-side encryption for the disks EPIM Cloud runs from (hence system isn't able to see it).
6. Don't worry about running out of space, it gets bigger automatically once you're close to the currently available quota. And that's up to 5 GB.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

b. POP3 protocol is for getting emails from the server, not for uploading them. IMAP is the one you need. Or you can always choose to leave mail on the server in settings for pop3 protocol accounts.
I know. But the POP-folder in my EPIM DB is the same as just notes. Data in a db. I can use this data also beeing offline. I have here emails from the late 1990´s on- before EPIM (imported from Thunderbird). I just wanted the static POP3 data transfered to cloud. So, if not in cloud, transfering data from PC > tablet only works via USB.
4. Appointments carry out the background color of the calendar they belong to. So you can change the calendar's color if you don't like the default one.
I know too. But... I use only ONE calendar, all appointments have different colors because of a different category! You introduced additional calendars AFTER people had thousands of appointments in different categories in calendar..... (I keep appointments from the past too)- so, how standardize entries from the past (different colored categories) with future entries (possibly different calendars)?
6. Don't worry about running out of space, it gets bigger automatically once you're close to the currently available quota. And that's up to 5 GB
I don´t worry about running out of space. My problem is, I use a different db (not so much and complicated notes) on my smartphone. This db is much smaller and there is plenty space for TWO PROFILES and TWO DBs, one for Windows <> Windows, one for Windows <> Android on the cloud!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know. But the POP-folder in my EPIM DB is the same as just notes. Data in a db. I can use this data also beeing offline. I have here emails from the late 1990´s on- before EPIM (imported from Thunderbird). I just wanted the static POP3 data transfered to cloud. So, if not in cloud, transfering data from PC > tablet only works via USB.
EPIM Cloud isn't an email server, this will not work.
I know too. But... I use only ONE calendar, all appointments have different colors because of a different category! You introduced additional calendars AFTER people had thousands of appointments in different categories in calendar..... (I keep appointments from the past too)- so, how standardize entries from the past (different colored categories) with future entries (possibly different calendars)?
Filter events by categories and move them into another calendars, if needed.
I don´t worry about running out of space. My problem is, I use a different db (not so much and complicated notes) on my smartphone. This db is much smaller and there is plenty space for TWO PROFILES and TWO DBs, one for Windows <> Windows, one for Windows <> Android on the cloud!
You'd need 2 separate cloud accounts for that if you don't wish to mix up your data.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

You'd need 2 separate cloud accounts for that if you don't wish to mix up your data.
Ok, I will think about that.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

How should that work?
Up to now I have only 2 local calendars, the default ones: calendar1 and "birthdays". So I tried to add n a new one for my holydays. I filtered categories and asigned all hollidays to "holidays".
But this has NO EFFECT at all! Either localy (EPIM Windows) nor cloud- if I check only "holidays" I can see nothing (locally)- I have to check the default calendar1 to see all holidays.
And in cloud, after synchronizing the new db, there are no "holidays" in calendar. Here too, only the default ones work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Only calendars from EPIM Cloud account will be synchronized with EPIM Cloud. Local calendars do not sync with anything except for AEPIM (if chosen so in the sync settings). Thanks.