Google vs Android sync

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

requiredusername
Guru

Google vs Android sync

Post by requiredusername »

Hate to post so frequently, but as I learn/try new features on v11, I keep hitting bumps.
Most recently, I changed an email sync I had setup as 'Google' to 'android.' I now have both. Yes, I have PC sync set up on my phone and it seems to work well. The android account differs significantly from the Google. That is, the email set up as a Google sync now has very few events showing in previous months while the Android sync has all of them. But, the android sync has duplicates and triplicates of events. "Calendars" in the left column show separate calendars - one from the Google sync and one from android sync. (Not counting 'Local' and my wife's calendar.)
In addition, I've found my android phone I now have about 350 contacts when, prior to PC sync, I had 25-30. Those 'bonus' contracts are from my wife's iphone (gmail account). No idea how they ended up on my account.
Attachments. Those I add to an event on my phone don't show up on EPIM PC and visa versa.
Email for those same accounts gives me a popup and a bar filling as each account email actions complete. But, now, 3 of those fill the bar to about 80-90% and stay there for at least 3 hours (I've timed it)
I'm hoping all these have a common solution.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Google vs Android sync

Post by admin »

I wasn't able to understand specifically which services AEPIM and WinEPIM synchronize with.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
requiredusername
Guru

I have no idea either. Here is what I know.
For years, WEPIM and AEPIM have synced - how, I don't know. Recently DLd and installed WEPIM 11.02, then 11.04. With v11.02 I gained the long awaited ability to have multiple calendars. Not knowing how EPIM worked in v11.02, I kept what I'll call mine@gmail.com that I'd been using for years. Synced it to WEPIM and AEPIM and it worked well. Slow to sync, but worked. FWIW, I synced it to WEPIM using File>Synchronization>Add Synchronization>Google.
Recently received an email from Essential noting the ability to sync using File>Synchronization>Add Synchronization>Android. This, I did, thinking the sync method would change, but use the existing WEPIM calendar for mine@gmail.com. Nope. I now have two calendars for the same email address. One under a calendar identified as 'Google(mine@gmail.com)' and a 2nd identified as 'Samsung(SM-xxxx).'
My problem is although the calendars are drawn from the same email address, the events are significantly different. The account I created using 'Add Synchronization>Google contains almost all the events under the web-based Google calendar, although a lot of them are duplicated/triplicated. The events showing under File>Synchronization>Add Synchronization>Android are significantly incomplete, particularly before June 2022. Neither EPIM calendar events are as complete as the web-based Google calendar.
I'm tempted to delete both calendars on WEPIM and start from scratch, but fear losing ALL events.
I'll worry about my other concerns when this one is resolved.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you've been synchronizing via Google, there was no need to add additional direct WinEPIM-Android EPIM sync. Hence the duplicate entries. You can remove them by using EPIM DupRemover: https://www.essentialpim.com/features/f ... dupremover
requiredusername
Guru

Very good. Now on to the next one. (If this should be a different thread, let me know.
Attachments. Those I add to an event on my phone don't show up on EPIM PC and visa versa.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How do you sync your AEPIM with WinEPIM? Directly, through Google, through EPIM Cloud?
requiredusername
Guru

In WEPIM, CTRL-SHIFT-Z
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's a shortcut for Synchronize All, which doesn't tell us much, unfortunately.
requiredusername
Guru

Maybe I can narrow that down. I'm not signed up for EPIM cloud. Beyond that, all I know is File>Synchronizations>Synchronize all." How that sync happens, no idea. How can I tell? I wasn't aware sync type determined whether attachments synced or not
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Likely you use the direct WinEPIM - AEPIM sync then. Please check whether the option to sync attachments is enabled in the sync options.
requiredusername
Guru

I see no 'sync attachment' option
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It should be here (see the screenshot attached). Thanks.
Attachments
Untitled.png
requiredusername
Guru

I have two calendars I created ass syncing to WEPIM. Both were created using File>Synchronization>Add Synchronization. Under 'Options,' neither has 'Synchronize Attachments.' The last (bottom) choice I have is 'Synchronize Deletions.'
requiredusername
Guru

see attached. No 'sync attachments.'
Attachments
att1.png
requiredusername
Guru

See Attachment