Duplicate Recurring Entries glitch...

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Dierk
Expert

Duplicate Recurring Entries glitch...

Post by Dierk »

Running: EPIM Pro; v11.0.4 on Win 10; v6.0.2 on Android

Problem: Sudden appearance of multiple instances of Annually Recurring Appointments, reset for Daily Repeat as opposed to Annual.

Example:
EssentialPIM_DupCalEvents.png
EssentialPIM_DupCalEvents.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Notes: 1) The entries ON Jan 1 (New Year's Day) are "as expected" - that is, EPIM traditionally ends up with Multiple Instances of Annual Events showing in the calendar. (Dropping GOOGLE SYNC has helped to reduce that issue.)

2) The New - and UNexpected - entries are the "New Year's Day" reminders on Jan 2, 3, 4, 5 (& on for 7 days total).
a) This has happened for SOME BIRTHDAY reminders, as well as MOST "US Holidays" - so NOT a simple case of importing 2 "holiday" lists;
b) DELETING ONE of the "Red Lined" Reminders - with Whole Series selected - Usually Deletes ALL of the the Red Line reminders;
c) Tried a Local Sync (with Android): an August B'day, shown in EPIM Desktop as an Annual Event, got "Duplicated" in Android as a Daily Event, with a 7 day time duration.
d) As with the Win version, deleting One of the "Phantom" Daily entries in Android removes ALL of the daily entries - leaving the (desired) Annual Entry alone.
e) Any thoughts on How / WHY these were added?

Thanks!

PS: left an earlier post looking for an "explanation" for the Diagonal Red Line that shows up in Win EPIM - hoped to find a Reference source (or "Key") for ALL of the Icons / Symbols used in EPIM, but could not locate such a list - ??
admin
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate Recurring Entries glitch...

Post by admin »

How do we reproduce the issue?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

admin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:50 pm How do we reproduce the issue?
That is always the difficult question: Is it due to some Program Setting (perhaps Selected BY the User!); a Sync Error; Database corruption; a Glitch in the Matrix (!)....

Frankly, the Hope when posting these types of things (Unexpected Events / Results...) is that 1) There is some KNOWN Combination of settings that could be at "fault" and / or 2) Other Users have had a similar experience and are able to chime in with a "Gee, that happened here also...."

In the absence of an "easy" answer - something along the lines "Don't do 'XXxxx'" OR "Always Remember TO Do 'yyyyy' Before...." will try to find time to make a stab at "reproducing" (or Causing) the problem - but even if those attempts succeed they are likely to be applicable ONLY to MY EPIM / AEPIM installations.

Random Errors are a Huge PITA....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In such cases a sync log file would help. Although, only the one that you get right after the sync before it gets overwritten by newer sync retries with already disturbed data.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I DO have the same problem in some way with recurring events. And I DO have the problem that I cannot really say where it comes from.
I can only guess it has to do with the fact those events are old data and has to do with inconsistances in data, either on WinEPIM side or on AEPIM side (I always used direct sync in past)
As I often collided with problems as to recurring events when syncing (duplicates, no recurrance on the other side, no category)I now decided to totally start data from scratch to avoid problems coming from some old data/databases. It is no fun to hit at odd problems over and over again. Moreover it's very difficult to repro this kinds of problems. So I did a restart not being fond of searching solutions for problems coming from the past, not being sure there will only be the next problem being hiddden round the corner.
So new WinEPIM database and all my events created new (I am glad there are not too many).

Thats's where I am right now. Next step will be to see what comes up when syncing events via EPIMcloud and then to a reinstalled AEPIM.

The problem I have in addition to that, is I still have to get used to the usage of different calenders in WinEPIM. So far I am not quite sure how I should get to a usage as smooth as I had in past.

... just how it looks like to me
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Another "Me Too" from me too:

This happened to me a couple of months ago when I upgraded to one of the RC versions. All of my recurring holidays (New Year's Day, Christmas, etc) duplicated, but non-recurring (Easter, for example) did not. Also, NONE of my other recurring appointments duplicated, only holidays.

Since it was so few entries, I simply deleted the duplicates and ignored it.

Bill L