Is this the way search is SUPPOSED to be working?

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Christine
Expert

Is this the way search is SUPPOSED to be working?

Post by Christine »

I've used EPIM for over 10 years for my notes. And in all that time I haven't figured out how to effectively find a note.

I create a new note.
I can't see it anywhere.

I then do a search and FIND the note.
I have to do enormous traveling from one side of the monitor to the other to search and then select the found note. Back and forth, all the time. My hand hurts.

Then I want to MOVE the note to where it's supposed to be. But I don't see it in the listing. Search finds it every time. And as soon as I clear it, the note is gone again.

I then have to MANUALLY go through the listing of notes to locate it. My eyes are about to fall out.

Is that how it's supposed to work?

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c3jh3LVZGiG
a8907433
Guru

Re: Is this the way search is SUPPOSED to be working?

Post by a8907433 »

Hi Christine,
I think it is not an issue about how to FIND the new note, rather how to CREATE the new note!
When creating a new note, you right click on a specific note and can choose: Add to Root/Child/Sibling. And the new note will be on the bottom of the specific note/subnote or root. After creating the new note you drag it in the right position in the tree where you want it to be, and than you can eddit it.
At least, thats the way I use the tree and notes, subnotes.....
When you have very much notes, you can add important notes to favourites- when creating an new note in say, "Work", then you go to favourites > "Work" right click > "Add as child" - and it will be the last subnote in "Work".
So, you will have to have your notes TREE in mind, at least the most important notes, navigate to a specific one, then the right sob note, subsubnote..... and then you create the note as child.
But, with having yout TREE in mind, you can also create a new note as sibling (same level as "Work"), or at "ROOT"- the highest level in the tree.

So, first just have the highest (most important) level of the tree in mind, navigate to a specific note/subnote.... (or use a favourite), and then add as child- it will the last one in this note.
This way your problem converts from FINDING the note to CREATING the note.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thanks, I do understand how notes are organized. I just don't understand why "found" notes are not highlighted so that you can SEE what was found AFTER you clear the search and all the other notes are displayed again.

It's been like that for the about 12 years I've used EPIM and I was certain that someone else would complain about it and it would get fixed.

I think it's odd that I'd have to create a special directory for NEW notes so that I can find them after I created them.

I think new notes are added to the BOTTOM instead of the TOP, [you wrote that too] so often they are covered up by the leaf directory or whatever you call it below the notes because I have so many notes. And usually, I want the newest item at the TOP anyway.

EPIM has so many features, most I don't even use, but I do use the notes and wish that search would work better.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Christine, thanks for the very detailed description of the problem and for the video that allowed us to understand it completely. I can confirm the issue (when the selected note doesn't stay visible upon clearing search results), will take care of it in the next EPIM's update.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thank you so much, am so looking forward to that. It's been a major issue for me because I have thousands of notes, used EPIM for personal and business for almost 15 years now! :) And not very effective either because I didn't even utilize organizational features like leafs and tabs for many years. Used it much like Explorer, just nested directory trees. So search is everything for me.

Also keep in mind that even after selecting the note after the search, it doesn't stay selected (highlighted) as notes when you don't search.

THANKS!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

So it's a year and a half later and I'm still having the EXACT same problem.

I've had to start numerous files because I just can't find what I need. This is SO FRUSTRATING.

And now I don't know what's in which files anymore.

Am I the only one having these problems?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Once you highlight a found note, it stays highlighted on our end even when the search results are cleared. Does that happen on your end? If not, are you on the latest EPIM version 11.8.2? Thanks!
M&M
Experienced

Post by M&M »

The note-management could really be more user-friendly.

I have already shared my ideas in the suggestions.

See:
User-friendly appointment- and note-management:
viewtopic.php?p=131740#p131740

Regards M&M
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

admin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:10 am Once you highlight a found note, it stays highlighted on our end even when the search results are cleared. Does that happen on your end? If not, are you on the latest EPIM version 11.8.2? Thanks!
No, it's exactly like in the screencast I originally posted.

And yes, 11.8.2

Win 10

Is it only me?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The screencast you posted doesn't display the lower part of the screen, so it's unclear if the selected item is still visible there. Could you please ensure that the selected item isn't present in the lower part of the screen as well? Thank you.
M&M
Experienced

Post by M&M »

Hello Christine,

if you want to find a note or the corresponding tree again after a search, you have to select the tree in which the note you are looking for is located. You can find the tree by right-clicking on the found note and selecting the top entry "Edit ..." in the context menu. If you have then selected the tree under "Local Notes", the selected tree will be displayed after you end the search and the note you are looking for will be easier to find. Otherwise, the tree that was active before the search is displayed again after the search is ended.

If the note you are looking for has been newly created or recently edited (open briefly as part of the search and insert spaces in the text or title and save the change), you can also find the note using the "Recently Viewed" or "Recently Modified" filters in the Smart List. Or you can mark the note as a "Favorite" so that you can find it more easily using the "Favorites" filter in the Smart List.

Unfortunately a bit cumbersome, but maybe it will change in the future ? !

viewtopic.php?p=131740#p131740

Good luck M&M
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

I give up.