Direct sync loses contacts data (11.0.4 - 6.02)

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

poet-man
Guru

Direct sync loses contacts data (11.0.4 - 6.02)

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,

I set up direct sync between my notebook (WinEPIM) and my tablet (AEPIM). It is one way sync from WinEPIM to AEPIM, with AEPIM reinstalled (no data in it).
It turned out, that all my contacts from WinEPIM lost content quite heavily. Contacts were there but no mobil or phone numbers no adresses etc etc.
Seems I will have to fill in that data (I made printings) manuelly again ... or what would experts here recommend?

Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
firstoftwins
Guru

Re: Direct sync loses contacts data (11.0.4 - 6.02)

Post by firstoftwins »

Exactly the same happened to me after a direct 1-way sync (synchronise deletions box ticked) from WinEPIM to AEPIM, and after flailing around trying to find out what went wrong I deleted AEPIM on my phone, build a new data file from scratch to start over but, as you know, I still can't get AEPIM to accept my passcode as valid, but that's an unrelated issue I'm taking up with support. So, while I don't have any recommendations I can at least confirm that what you experienced isn't a one-off. The contacts were still there but heavily damaged. Some of them had just their name and a few notes. Their email, phone and address details are all gone. I've been having so many issues lately and spending so much time on EPIM generally that I've all but lost trust in it. In fact, I'm so wary of it that I'm now forced to move my calendar to Proton Calendar, my passwords to LastPass, and my notes to OneNote. I've relied on it too heavily and that trust has lost me a lot of valuable data. It's been a nightmare few days, I'm afraid.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I understand what you say. And that thing about trust and reliability is something very important. Not to speak about time and effort. It seems, lots of problems have appeared in EPIM lately. But I still trust they will be solved.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
CraigS26
Guru

Post by CraigS26 »

Until admin shows-up ... nothing is mentioned of -- test.backup.xyz.epim -- files (I have 8 Max) Or, as I do, regularly exported Contacts-Calendar-Tasks modules to a backup Folder.
Couldn't either or both solve the Lost data issue Vs manual re-build?
Sync Threads are abundant lately but hopefully That part will get answered soon.
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I understand you suggest to use a backup or exported data?
Well, I didnot have success this way. And I would have been surprised if I had ... because different users having the same problem could mean there is a problem in general.
So maybe admin has an idea
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I agree that this seems to be a general problem. :( I guess it might be an android 6.0.2 problem, since I saw this problem with 11.0.3 and 11.0.4 that I installed today.
postal addresses were copied, but home addresses not.
home phone numbers are copied and come in mobile (dutch GSM) numbers. Mobile phone numbers are gone.
Lots of incondistencies. :(
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

I re-downloaded and reinstalled the AEPIM 6.0 RC version and for me the problems are gone.
Now I miss possible updates from 6.0.1 and 6.0.2, but most important, my contact are normal again.
Also the link to systemaccount and other APPS like WhatsApp work again.
Before no contacts were found in WhatsApp, now they all are back if I do a search.

So most definitively AEPIM 6.0.2 has a problem with contacts and synchronizing data from WEPIM.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I can confirm this.

Reinstall of 6.0 RC1 does NOT present the problem.
ALL contacts data is there after direct sync.
If I update to 6.02 the problem is there. So it was implemented in the latest versions.

Hope somebody from support can give info when this will be fixed.

Thanks to everybody contributing.
firstoftwins
Guru

Post by firstoftwins »

There are so many issues and such scant support that I can only suspect they've given up on this program. I've asked them directly for help and for the passcode to my copy of AEPIM so that I can enter it into the program to activate PRO, just like you suggested, and hopefully get on with regaining the lost data. But they won't give it to me, saying instead that there's a bug they're working on to fix the problem. If I could I would gladly pay the measly few quid again just to get AEPIM PRO, but every time I hit the upgrade button I'm given an error message telling me, "Error. You already own this item." I give up, like it seems support has.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I do understand your anger, but please be patient. These days there are aspects, that do make it very difficult to get things done. In my opinion the entire community should hold on to what has been achieved. And one of the most important means is to be patient and use the possibilities there are. I'm sure, behind the scenes they do what they can
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

poet-man wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:36 am I do understand your anger, but please be patient. These days there are aspects, that do make it very difficult to get things done. In my opinion the entire community should hold on to what has been achieved. And one of the most important means is to be patient and use the possibilities there are. I'm sure, behind the scenes they do what they can
I agree with poet-man's assessment quoted here. WEPIM and AEPIM has evolved with a huge number of features, and that means increasing complexity of maintaining the software. EPIM users may number anywhere in the 10's of thousands to 100's of thousands - or more - that's a lot of people to support, and it therefore takes time to resolve their issues. As a software developer myself, I have to deal with software tools that have problems for creating/supporting my software products, changes in operating systems that create problems...the list goes on, and I am sure EPIM's developers have the same issues. I do get frustrated at times with bugs and new design decisions with EPIM, but that is only because it's utility to me is at the same high level as my word processor and spreadsheet software is. I have been using PIMs since 1982 (that's right, under MS-DOS: Sidekick!), and EPIM for 14 years because the EPIM developers have a long history of resolving bugs and design issues.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

.... yes ... and not to forget:
even software development depends on global structures. Just imagine you have to upgrade a server, and certain parts donot arrive ... or just imagine a very important person in the project has to visit hospital. You cannot provide duplicates for any ressources.
And sometimes everybody needs some time off.

The next 3 weeks my doctor will be on holiday. Of course I can visit any other doctor during that time, if needed. But there is only one person who really knows all about my special case. So being patient really is needed in todays world ... even if it's not easy.

As I said: Everybody does what he can