EssentialPIM for Android 6.0 Release Candidate

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

EssentialPIM for Android 6.0 Release Candidate

Post by admin »

The RC version of AEPIM 6.0 is here! The big change for this version is that you will now be able to synchronize all your AEPIM data with EPIM Cloud.

Please note, this is not the final release version (even though it’s now out of the Beta testing phase), so some issues are still possible with it. Download and try only if you know what you’re doing.

What’s new:
  • Synchronize all your data with EPIM Cloud
  • Backup files are correctly recognized on Android 11+ devices
  • Lots of fixes and internal improvements
If you signed up to be a Beta tester of AEPIM through the Google Play store (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14517), you would get this update automatically. If not, you can always download the new version manually using the following download link: Android EPIM Release Candidate

Please leave your comments about found issues with this version down below.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM for Android 6.0 Release Candidate

Post by poet-man »

Hi @all,

as RC1 for AEPIM v6.0 is out some time now, I would like to know, what people out there experience, as to sync of AEPIM to EPIMcloud, and resync from EPIMcloud to WinEPIM?
Background:
I do have some problems to do this, that I could not solve so far.
So, what do others experience in this field? Does it work without any problems?
Might be MY problems have to do with a special situation, only I have.

Thanks
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

I'm still running AEPIM v5.8.7 and noticed that changing the category for an already synched event on the AEPIM has resulted in a duplicate of the event being created in EPIM v11.0 (an event with the new category being created instead of updating/replacing the previously synced category.)

I'm presuming this is addressed in the AEPIM v6.0 to go along with the many updates between EPIM 10.x.x.x to EPIM 11.0.
EssentialPIM Pro Lifetime member since July 12, 2020.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

So you suceeded in transferring your event datas from AEPIM to WinEPIM?
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

With the caveat AEPIM v5.8.7 <--->EPIM v11.0, yes, since July 13, 2022 with the observed undocumented user feature commented upon at 12:38pm.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Interesting to get to know, what users experience in this field, myself having some trouble
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

Still running AEPIM v5.8.7. Changed the category of an event on an already synchronized event to see if the event is duplicated on the EPIM v11.0.2, updated this morning.

The earlier test changed the AEPIM event from no category to one of my existing categories (Cat A).
This time, the event was changed from one existing category (Cat A) to another existing category (Cat B)

The event appears once within the AEPIM and appears twice.
I have edited the text of the Cat A note on the EPIM side to see how it gets synchronized back to the AEPIM side of things.
The updated event, Cat A, did not appear in the AEPIM database.

Changed the AEPIM event back to Cat A from Cat B to see if it changes the text on the AEPIM or the EPIM side.
Ended up with three events on the EPIM side with only one event on the AEPIM.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

... and that's why I donot dare to really use the WinEPIM/EPIMcloud/AEPIM system on my real data, as long as such effects take place like duplicates and differences between the two sides.

I now use AEPIM 6.0.2 and experience (for example) that an event with a new category I create in WinEPIM arrives in AEPIM with NO category.

But of course it will take time until all these side effects will be eliminated.
I hope there are not too many of these.
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

AEPIM v6.0.2 was automatedly installed last night. Quick rerun of the scenario from before.
Changed an event from <NoCat> to <CatA> on EPIM v11.0.2 and executed the synchronization request from the android device.
The change of category was recognized and implemented on the android device.

Change the event on the AEPIM from <CatA> back to <NoCat> and executed the synchronization request.
The event was duplicated on the portable EPIM.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Version 6.0 repeatedly closed!!!
Had no Problems in prior Versions, and 6.0 RC1 didnot either. But 6.01 I couldnot run at all, because it immediately shut down. Had a look if there was a new version, which was 6.02. Started without problems and did so for 2 days. Today that shutdown problem came up again and couldnot start AEPIM at all.
So another try and I just downloaded 6.03. Could start it so far.
Anybody had the same problems and knows where it comes from?
There has not been any significant changes on my Android 10 Galaxy Tab S4 and no problems elsewhere

EDIT:
All of the new Versions 6.0.X cannot be started again after a while. The versions run, say for a day or so, then I cannot start the app any more. It just says "repeatedly closed ... send a feedback". I have sent a few. Hope this issue will be solved shortly.
As a workaround I have to install the version again and it will run/can be started for a while. Then it starts all over again.
Last edited by poet-man on Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulfb
Novice

Post by paulfb »

Calendar sync doesn't work at all... or at least it does but only if I manually duplicate entries from my main calendar (which is synchronised with my Outlook calendar) in the new calendar which has appeared with the name of my phone. It's not the end of the world because I can still see all my calendar events on my phone via another app, but all this seems a bit clunky. It's also mildly annoying that although I only need one calendar from day to day the calendar module now insists on showing me four - "local", "Office 365/Outlook" "EPIM cloud", and "OnePlus DN2103" (my phone). It's particularly annoying when I create a new event that I now need to make sure it's gone into the correct calendar, rather than the default local calendar which I'll never use, and there seems to be no option for changing the default.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@paulfb
can you please explain one thing, as I donot understand.
Some in the forum talk of "a calender with the name of my phone".
How does this come into existance? Is it as to EPIMcloud or has it to do with direct sync from phone to WinEPIM? I ask because I never had such a calendar on my side.
Thanks.
paulfb
Novice

Post by paulfb »

I had an Android sync set up on the PC and phone using the old direct sync method. When I installed the latest version of Aepim and activated the epimcloud sync it created the new phone-related calendar. I then thought that it didn't make sense to have the direct sync still there but if I remove it (which also removes the phone related calendar) the PC sync (which seems to be the only thing which references epimcloud sync, and yes I have activated the slider) just tells me that it fails to connect. I can't seen any up to date documentation about any of this either.
paulfb
Novice

Post by paulfb »

Ah prompted by poet-man I tried creating some dummy entries in tasks and note and see that they do indeed sync without prompting, so it now seems that the old pc sync module on aeepim is redundant if you have Epimcloud. But it still doesn't sync my outlook-related calendar and fills my database with duplicates, which seems to be something to do with categories. But then it's kind of unusable as it is.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

- The latest version of Android EPIM is 6.0.1. Don't know where you get the 6.0.2 version from as there's no such one in existence, yet.
- Crashes will be taken care of in either today's or tomorrow's update (which is going to be the 6.0.2 version). As a workaround solution now would be to start EPIM in a portrait mode
- dream_weaver, we're unable to reproduce the issue. Please attach a sync log
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!