Bring back the old navigation pane as an option

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

bigred
Novice

Bring back the old navigation pane as an option

Post by bigred »

I admire the simplicity of the EssentialPIM Pro 11 navigation panel which has been reduced to a narrow column of icons, one for each module. However, I miss the ease of use offered by the previous design which offered a different condensed menu for each module, especially the menu for the Tasks module. It was very convenient to be able to switch instantly between Tree, Consolidated and Plain views, and then to adjust Group By to None, Due Date or Start Date in the same condensed menu. Personally I switch views and adjust Group By settings frequently. It becomes tedious to open View on the Main Menu, switch from Tree view to Consolidated view (which automatically closes View), then reopen View, open Group By, and select Due Date instead of None, and to follow variations of that process several times in the space of a few minutes. I also sometimes find the new layout confusing in that I cannot immediately see which view I am working in. For example I recently believed I was working in Consolidated view until I realized that some items I would have expected to see were missing, and then discovered I was only viewing the tasks in one tab of Tree view instead of all tasks in Consolidated view.

Could you perhaps provide an option to display the previous, wider version of the navigation panel, including the condensed menus, for those of us who prefer the older design? I am using EssentialPIM Pro 11.0.2 on Windows 10 Pro.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bring back the old navigation pane as an option

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, although I doubt the old version is coming back. We may and will introduce some changes to the navigation pane in the future. Also, did you know you could quickly change views in tasks by using keyboard shortcuts?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
bigred
Novice

Re: Bring back the old navigation pane as an option

Post by bigred »

Thank you for guiding me to look in a different direction for ways to switch views. I now see that not only can I use the keyboard shortcuts which you referenced, there are also two tools on the Main Toolbar (which Help calls the tools panel), specifically Change View and Grouping Options, which display the currently selected settings for View and Group By and allow for rapid switches. The combination of those two tools is perfect for me and completely eliminates the need for the modification I suggested.