Alternative Weather Providers

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ecsaltz
Guru

Alternative Weather Providers

Post by ecsaltz »

It's been awhile since the need for alternative weather providers has been brought up, the current (and only) one is just too inaccurate. Being that I am in the United States, I am partial to the implementation using the federal National Weather Service (NWS) protocol. With all the recent improvements to the calendar module, it's even more frustrating that the weather icons/tips are still useless for me - and I assume for others as well.

As awkward as this may sound, I would find it useful if I could import a CSV file of (defined structure) date/weather information into EPIM that would replace the current calendar weather provider data, as an option to using the current weather provider. I would put this option in the Tools->Options->Calendar->Weather window. One could manually populate the CSV file in a spreadsheet, or in my case, write a program that would fetch this information for the NWS and automatically create this file. If it will be the case that adding alternative weather providers for the calendar module is not in the near future, this would be a solution that would work in the meantime.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Weather Providers

Post by admin »

ecsaltz, time needed to implement such a solution is pretty much comparable to the time required to add couple of new weather providers into EPIM. So I guess we better stick to the initial plan of brining more choices in terms of offered weather providers :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ecsaltz
Guru

Re: Alternative Weather Providers

Post by ecsaltz »

admin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:11 pm ecsaltz, time needed to implement such a solution is pretty much comparable to the time required to add couple of new weather providers into EPIM. So I guess we better stick to the initial plan of brining more choices in terms of offered weather providers :)
Okay, I appreciate your thoughts on this!
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.