EPIM - Dropbox error

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

outlinerone
Beta Team

EPIM - Dropbox error

Post by outlinerone »

Had recently started using EPIM from Dropbox for a few days.
Had been using Kanban feature in tasks. In the EPIM settings, had where EPIM was set to autosave every 5 minutes.
What happened was EPIM froze and had to close. When trying to re-open the EPIM file in Dropbox, I get login or password incorrect. Contact your EPIM Admin. I didn't have a password, and it doesn't give me a chance to enter anything.

Is there a backup on my local Win I can open to access the database I had been working on today? If there is I'm not finding it.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Re: EPIM - Dropbox error

Post by outlinerone »

So is there any way to recover the database I had been working on? Would be happy with 6/4/22 version if could access/get it to open.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There should be a backup, please try searching for an *.epim file one your PC. You can also get the EPIM db file manually from Dropbox and then open it up locally.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Thanks, went through all the previous versions and none had the most recent updates with Kanban tasks. The Dropbox version wouldn't open, just giving a login or password incorrect and to contact the Epim admin.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can forward me that version via PM here in the forum, will check what's wrong with the DB file then.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

The file size was too large to send.

Have recreated the issue I had before. Seems the program becomes unstable when adding links within Kanban tasks.
Started on an existing database and was working on adding Kanban tasks. The program locked up at the same place it did before.
When I was in a Kanban task and was adding a link to a Note in EPIM it locked up (no error message, the program screens stop responding and the database doesn't respond). In Windows task manager it shows EPIM as not responding. Can open a new EPIM database but the existing one have to close with Task Manager.
Also, have in Settings where it is supposed to Autosave every 3 minutes. It's definitely not doing that as when I reopened the database I had lost 3 hours of data I had been working on when I reopened the database in Dropbox.
Looked at backup files on my local hard drive at they didn't have most recent data either.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can upload the file to some file sharing service and then forward me the download link to it.

As for the rest of the issues, we were unable to reproduce them, unfortunately. Please provide us with the specific list of steps. Thanks.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

When I couldn't open it, I just deleted the old one.

Since it is so random, I have moved a new database locally and changed the settings to save every few minutes and backup locally.
As I add to Kanban tasks again with links, will see if I can recreate the problem. Doesn't give me any error message though when it happens. The program just stops responding.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please let us know if you happen to notice any pattern after which the program stops responding.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Happened again. It appears to happen when in a Kanban task. When adding an internal link (a Note), the program will stop responding. The only way to close is via Windows Task Manager. It doesn't give any type of error message on the screen.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you able to reproduce this? Or does it only happen randomly time to time? If you can always reproduce this, please record a small video demonstrating the issue. Thanks!
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

At the moment it seems to be random. Will see if can consistently reproduce.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see you're in the Beta team. Please check if there's going to be the same issue with EPIM 11.0 Beta3.
outlinerone
Beta Team

Post by outlinerone »

Do have the latest beta.
Another issue I am seeing consistently (image attached), from Kanban task when viewing the window to attach an EPIM note.
When clicking on a column to sort it, EPIM gives an error message each time.
epim-error.JPG
From here, can close the error.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems like both of the issues are DB dependant. We weren't able to reproduce any of them so far. What you can do here is to either sync your DB into the new one using EPIM Synchronizer and see if it helps or make a copy of your DB, delete all the sensitive info from it and then forward to us. Will check it out for possible issues.