Email NOT downloading

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Christine
Expert

Email NOT downloading

Post by Christine »

First I've had so many problems with email repeatedly downloading, and now I'm downloading next to nothing. My host just moved servers on 6/1 and since yesterday I got NO email except one mail that was downloaded today. Get several hundred emails a day.

Had a ticket with my host going all day, but can't get past sending screenshots, and changing server names, and no matter what I do, I'm connecting and downloading NOTHING. No errors. As if there were no mails to get.

I just changed how many days my mail is left on the server before deletion for various accounts a couple days ago. Can that have to do with that?
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: Email NOT downloading

Post by Steve Shank »

Christine, One of the things I always do is check what it looks like in Webmail. Often you see weird things in Webmail, or you have issues logging in, that shed light on what is going on.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

My mail is fine in webmail, and I'm starting to get the occasional email now, such as the notice of your post. It feels like waiting for DNS to be updated, except it's taking way longer than that. And it doesn't make sense that I download the occasional email, maybe 1 in 50.

Go through all the steps from connecting to disconnecting super fast, with ZERO mails to download.

I have about 10 accounts and only gmail downloads ok.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What type of accounts are these - POP or IMAP? I'd start troubleshooting the issue with creation of a new DB and adding one of the accounts in question into it. Will it start working normally then?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

POP, and set up one of the accounts in another db and immediately started downloading over 2000 mails, I think starting 5/1.

My settings are to delete from server after various number of days and recently changed the number of days. How does that work when you check an account in 2 or more databases? How does Epim keep track of what's been downloaded?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Changing number of days to store messages shouldn't affect anything but the number of days messages are stored on the server.

EPIM simply checks if there are new messages since last mail check and if there's, downloads them, if that's what you mean.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Last night, in the db I'm actually using, it downloaded over 200 messages for the account that I set up in a new file, from 5/4 to 5/11. I have no idea how that can be since they've already been downloaded, as I can see since some are still in my inbox as duplicates now.

Why did it stop at 5/11? And it did NOT download any of the new mail since 6/1. I did however receive 3 mails from two other rather lightly used accounts, so that could be all the new mail, but I'm missing 6/2 to 6/3 or 4.

There have been several times previously when I received a few mails LATE and I was sure I had checked mail before receiving it. I don't normally pay attention, but dealing with lawyers right now I have to respond promptly. Had so many other problems, I ignored it, but I thought it was weird.

And I've had quite a few duplicate downloads, several hundred emails at a time, but also had so many corrupted file issues before I reinstalled my entire system. BTW, the warning NOT to open the same file works now since I reinstalled.

So somehow my new mail is stuck on the server except for two accounts, but I'm missing a couple days there two.

And it started after my host moved my account to a new server.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

"EPIM simply checks if there are new messages since last mail check and if there's, downloads them, if that's what you mean."

Somehow that's not working right. Downloading duplicates and not getting new mail.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

So do I understand, that everything is ok with a new DB?
If so, nothing would be wrong, to use that one, having a look at your mails first (maybe even using IMAP), if everything runs ok there, then transfer your data to the new DB, make sure program is latest version?
Sometimes a DB, used for a long time, makes/has problems, and should be given a fresh start, especially when a problem comes up, that nobody else has.
It's the same with OSes (Android, Windows etc). After a long time, all the changes that were done make it necessary to reinstall, because nobody really knows where a specific problem has its origin and trying to solve it, possibly even makes it worse ... not to mention all the effort you invest.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thanks. but absolutely NOTHING is ok.

I've used EPIM since 2011. Over the last few weeks I've had so many problems, I bought a larger drive, did an all new Win 10 install, reinstalled EPIM and now you want me to do what?

Set up 10 new email accounts in a new db and then do what?
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Rather than a new database have you tried using the standalone "EPIM Synchronizer" tool?

It lets you sync your entire database to a new one, including account details, so you don't have to re-setup email accounts.

Generally speaking anytime a "new" databases fixes the issue, simply syncing your database with the EPIM Synchronizer tool is enough to get everything fixed back up and working.

The download link for it use to be on the main download page, but it seems for some reason it's been moved... you can find it here:

https://www.essentialpim.com/features/f ... nchronizer
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@Metaldrop
Thats what I meant by "transfer".
Expected some How To to come
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

I will try the synchronizing, thanks!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

So I synchronized, but EPIM still doesn't download my mail except for the two accounts that work, but also have several days missing (until it started downloading without any changes by me.)

The people at Greengeeks (my host) are no help whatsoever. They created a new email account and that works, "proving" that it's my fault.

I've been using some of these addresses for over 20 to almost 30 years.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

So when I set up my email in a new file, it downloads ALL email, as far as I can tell.

It may be best if I use a different file for email anyway so I don't have to switch back and forth from mail to notes all the time.

Can I download the mail in a new file and then IMPORT just the OLD mail?

I am so grateful for the "apply to all" column width!

Unfortunately, I now see that I'm MISSING mail. I see an attorney email on 6/1 in my old file, but it didn't download into my new file. How can that be?
Last edited by Christine on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.