Changing phones Cannot restore backup

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

FrustratedUser

Changing phones Cannot restore backup

Post by FrustratedUser »

So I had to change phones. Went from a Note 9 (Android 10) to a Galaxy S22.(Android 12)

Both have EssentialPIM v 5.8.7.

I backup the old phone.
I find EPIMBackup_20220301_XXXXXX.zip on old phone and move to same location on new phone.

BUT THE APPLICATION WON'T SEE IT!!!!! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WHY?!?!?!?! If I do a backup (of an empty app) then I can see THAT backup.

I got the new phone as a trade-in you old one, so I don't have days or weeks to figure this out. Under a bit of a time crunch
admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing phones Cannot restore backup

Post by admin »

Please download and install the following build (not yet available in the Google Play store): https://www.essentialpim.com/download/c ... 281%29.apk. It should work as expected then. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
FrustratedUser

Post by FrustratedUser »

I can see the files with that, but I get "Invalid Backup File" message.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to make a new backup file on your older device.
FrustratedUser

Post by FrustratedUser »

I can't.

For some reason when I go to Settings to perform a back up it asks for a password. It's not the same as the password I use to get into the password module. I can get into the password module and see my entries. (thank God)

But when I hit the three line to the left of "Passwords", or the three dots all the way to the right and select Settings. I get a blue page asking for a password. I have no idea what password it wants. I tried the password for the password module, that doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to get around that?

Right now my only option is to hand write down 200+ password entries, and start shopping for a new password manager.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's the password for the whole app you set up in the past.

You can also sync your data via the Windows version of EPIM.
doubledave

Post by doubledave »

I am having the same problem. Both phones (S21 and new S23) running EssentialPIM 6.0.10 free. I do a backup on the S21 and copy the file to the correct location in the S23 phone but the new phone says "invalid backup"

Now here is the interesting bit. I make a backup on the S23 (which has essentially nothing in its database). If I then rename my backup from the S21 the same as the new S23 backup I just created, EssentialPIM will read in that S21 backup file. However, the S23 (once restored with the renamed S21 file) does not contain all of the calendar entries that were on the S21. It only has a small handful of the calendar entries.

I was considering buying the pro version but if the restore functionality cannot work across phones I don't see the point.
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When was the initial backup file created? Does it contain both data and settings, and is it password protected? Also, if you create a new backup on S21, will you encounter the same issue?