[SOLVED] Syncing through USB no longer works

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

littlebigman
Guru

[SOLVED] Syncing through USB no longer works

Post by littlebigman »

Hello,

I got a new Androphone. Syncing through USB tethering worked for a few days… and stopped working all of a sudden with the familiar "Connection error. Unable to connect. Check firewall settings on your computer."

"ipconfig" shows the USB tethering connection, and the IP + port # are correct in Android.

Syncing through wifi works.

Exact same issue on another computer.

So it looks like something (I did?) in Android.

Any idea where I could look? FWIW, it's Android 12 (running the Evolver ROM, FWIW).

Thank you.

Last edited by littlebigman on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Syncing through USB no longer works

Post by admin »

Most likely that's the firewall issue as the message says. Please try to either disable Windows Firewall for the private types of networks for testing purposes or remove EPIM from the list of allowed applications so that the firewall re-adds it next time a connection is requested.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
littlebigman
Guru

Post by littlebigman »

I did disable the firewall, but no change. On both computers.

Syncing with wifi OK, with USB tethering NOK.

Uninstalling, reinstalling the Android app made no difference.

I suspect I made a change in the phone's settings by mistake.
littlebigman
Guru

Post by littlebigman »

Looks like I found it: For some reason, the first syncing has to be done using whatever IP Windows used dynamically for USB tethering.

Then, you can use that IP address + mask + gateway as fixed infos through the computer's \Network and Sharing Center section so that Windows won't change it and you won't have to change the IP in Android EPIM.

--

Edit: I notice EPIM sometimes can no longer sync with Windows after a while with a static IP set in Windows for that USB tethering connection — the IP obviously hasn't been changed and is correct.

The trick is to go back to a dynamic IP, possibly reboot the phone, perform a new sync, and then use that new IP to go back to a fixed IP. The C:\Windows\System32\ncpa.cpl shortcut comes handy.