Can't sync to smartphone

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
comvox
Novice

Can't sync to smartphone

Post by comvox »

I haven't been able to sync between EPM Pro and my android smartphone. EPIM android app keeps telling me:

- Connected to the Wi-FI network (and it gives the correct name of the network)
- No PCs with with running Windows version of EssentialPim detected.
- If I use manual connection, the app gives me the correct IP address of my computer, but it still doesn't sync.

I have scanned and rescanned, and used manual connection as well, and nothing works. I do have EPIM Pro running on my computer when I am trying to sync. I have tried disabling all Avast shields, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have looked to the firewalls, and it seems my computer is set to allow Epim Pro through, but I have a lot of trouble understanding the firewall connections (which shift depending on whether Avast is running) -- so maybe this is a firewall problem? Is there somewhere which describes how to handle this on Windows 10?

Details about my setup:
EPIM Pro 10.0.1 up to date, lifetime license.
I didn't install EPIM into the default directory, but into C:\P\W\Epim

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5

Android device: Galaxy S20 FE 5G
Android 11

I have Avast One Essential Free installed,
but I have tried sync-ing with all Avast shields disabled, and it doesn't make a difference.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't sync to smartphone

Post by admin »

What's the error message when you try to sync by manually entering your PC's IP address?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
comvox
Novice

Post by comvox »

Thank you for your reply, and taking the time during this holiday season.

Messages when using "Connect manually"

When I go to "Connect manually", it has an IP address automatically filled in (I generally try PC sync on the Android app first, and after it doesn't work, go to "Connect manually"), which is the same IP address as the Synchronization Wizard in EssentialPIM Pro on Windows identifies automatically, so I assume it's the correct IP address.

When I select "Connect" in "Connect manually",
it says "Synchronization in progress. Connecting..." but then changes to

"Connection error: Unable to connect. Check firewall settings on your computer."

I get this even when Avast shields are off. The computer, when Avast shields are off, says it is using Windows Defender Firewall. But I have ensured that EssentialPIM PRO is set as an application which is allowed to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall in either public or private networks. I also tried turning Window Defender Firewall off, and that didn't work either.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

"Messages when using "Connect manually".......

comvox: FWIW, have a similar problem crop up on a semi-regular basis. Doubt that this is the answer you are looking for, but my "work around" has been to a) Close EPim & then re-open - 1st on Phone, then on desktop, retrying the Sync after each; then b) Rebooting - first the phone, then the desktop (again, retrying Sync after each). Rebooting the phone is "easy" - costs very little time - whereas Rebooting the Desktop is a PITA (keep many programs open when working).

EPim Sync comes back to life after 1 of those steps, but it seems to be Random as to Which One. And it is possible that "simply" rebooting BOTH systems would cut out the middle ground.

Will note that "Most" of the time - 51 - 60% - EPim syncs just fine with the phone, AND it "always" Syncs Just Fine with my Chromebook, which is running on the same local network.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd also recommend to temporarily disable Windows Firewall for the local/private network in order to ensure it's not the problem here.
comvox
Novice

Post by comvox »

In accord with the suggestion, I tried (once again) temporarily disabling both Avast shields and Windows Defender Firewall for public and private networks. It still didn't work.

I also reset the Bluetooth pairing between my computer and the smartphone. That also didn't make a difference.

I keep thinking it must be some simple option I am not aware of and haven't set right, but I can't think of what else to try.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

I keep thinking it must be some simple option I am not aware of and haven't set right...
Phases of the moon....

What worked Just Now (Dec 29 21, 7:20pm EST) - after several failed attempts including restarting both EPim Desktop & Android: Initiate Sync from EPim Desktop; Get Warning: "Android Sync should always be initiated from...."; Android Device Syncs on its own (PC Sync page was already open in Epim Android, with message "No Connections Found" (or something to that effect).

Firewall is configured to permit Epim to communicate In & Outbound. Firewall settings In Effect "Always" - whether Sync works or not.

CB Sync required Manual Connection (which had failed just 15 minutes earlier on Android Phone....)

Phases of the moon....
comvox
Novice

Post by comvox »

Thank you, Dierk, for trying to help me. I appreciate that. May the moon always be in a favorable phase when you gaze upon it!

So far, though, I can't get a PC sync connection no matter what I do, and I have repeated trying to connect. Also,. Epim points to the firewalI. Well, I have noticed that in the Windows Defender Firewall rules on my computer, where it says Epim Pro is allowed to go through the firewall, it lists Epim Pro twice in the rules, which at first made me uneasy, until I noticed that the firewall does that for a lot of programs. So I guess that isn't the problem. Epim says to check the ports allowed by the firewall, but Windows Defender Firewall says it allows Epim Pro to use any port it likes. Meanwhile I can't find where Avast Essential allows me to set rules for the firewall, or where there is a useful forum for Avast. But then again, so far turning off Avast doesn't seem to make a difference. But maybe a bit of Avast stays on when it claims that all its shields are off?

Anyway, I have doubts that the firewall really is the problem, since the problem still exists when all the firewalls are apparently off.

I'm not sure what to do next. I suppose I could try uninstalling and reinstalling Epim. Maybe tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can also try to remove EPIM entries from the firewall and then add them back once you restart the program. Thanks.
comvox
Novice

Post by comvox »

Admin, given that PC Sync doesn't work for me when all firewalls are off, why should the EPIM entry to the firewalls make a difference? Have you seen this in the past?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, this kind of technique helped in couple of similar cases in the past. Maybe the available entries weren't configured correctly, for instance. We can check that out by removing them and then adding again.
comvox
Novice

Solved: Can't sync to smartphone

Post by comvox »

Success!

I uninstalled and reinstalled Epim Pro on my PC. And yes, I had not only stored my registration number carefully, but I remembered where I stored it, so I had no problem with registering the new installation. (For the sake of others who may try this, know where you Epim data files are, before doing this. The Epim uninstallation process removed completely the folder Epim had been installed in, which didn't bother me, make sure it doesn't bother you.) To my surprise, uninstalling Epim Pro hadn't automatically deleted the Epim Pro entries in the firewall settings, so I did that manually. (Also, I had previously uninstalled and reinstalled Epim on the smartphone.) And then I tried adding a synchronization via the Epim Pro menu. And it worked, so far!!! Thank you very much, both admin and Dierk. I hope it continues to work. Now I have to figure out how Epim Notes works on the Android, which wasn't quite what I expected, but that's a different question, and of course the Android version has to be a bit different due to the limitation of running on a smartphone.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not simply deleting the firewall entries, without reinstallation, would have worked.