EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

The second Release Candidate version of EssentialPIM 10.0 is out! We’re getting pretty close to the final version with this release. So, what’s new in it (in comparison with RC1):
  • Unread messages badge for Mail in collapsed Navigation Pane
  • Select the number of days and/or steps to store previous versions for (Tools->Options->Previous Versions)
  • Ability to clean up all stored previous versions
  • New place to select favorite, recently viewed and modified notes
  • “Show in Calendar” option is back for individual tasks
  • Improved authorization with Office 365 mail (Exchange) for some specific account types
  • Optimized spell checking for long notes
  • Fixed duplication of events in Today for online calendars (iCal) subscriptions
  • Fixed couple of issues related to insertion of Windows emojis in notes
  • Minor bug fixes
Downloads:
EssentialPIM Pro (Installer and Portable)
EssentialPIM (Installer and Portable)

Got something to say about the RC2 version release? Please post your comments below.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Download link still downloads RC1
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for letting us know. Fixed, please try now.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Thanks for the fix.
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

Clean up for previous steps seems like it misses the point of the feature compared to how EPIM works.

It's a one button cleans up everything super nuke—but... steps in passwords, and contacts may never be desired to cleaned, whereas steps in notes, calendar, tasks may be desired to be cleaned out frequently or disabled completely.

Clean up should probably be handled in a way akin to advanced search.
Select modules, apply desired clean up criteria, apply.

Limit by days makes sense for some modules, but not all, and same for max steps.

Max steps of 999 days ruins the feature entirely for passwords and contacts. 999 / 365 = 2.7369863 years. Steps would be very useful as a changed password archive, or an archive for historic contact info, but not at 2.7 years.

Therefore you can just disable it and use steps correct? Well no... because for contact data history you want the max number of steps possible for safety, but then this creates potentially huge storage issues in notes and tasks where tiny micro changes can accumulate to astronomical levels.

Which is why step limits should probably be handled per-module.

There's also the fact min value for steps is 1, which means there appears to still be no way to fully disable the system.

There is also no warning for data loss when users change these values.

Changing the steps from 999 to 1 appears to instantly delete all steps upon apply or ok with no warning to the user they are about to clear potently critical data.

On a personal note, given the complexity and danger of this feature I am surprised it is being added with such careless lack of direction especially given that I don't recall anyone on the forum requesting it, and there has been more or less a complete lack of fanfare for it outside of it being mistaken for the much requested revision history feature... Even my feedback above assumes that it is still at it's best going to be used as a revision history of sorts for everything, except notes. Which I do believe once molded it could be a great revisions system for everything except notes.

However I am quite curious as to what the original intended desire for this feature, or original request that inspired it was?

P/s
Moving favorites and recent note toggles to the navigation has indeed caused issues with navigation when collapsed, and completely cuts out the feature entirely when navigation is hidden.
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

It seems like some changes were made in attempt to fix a minor bug I described in viewtopic.php?t=36509.

Leaf (Notes) editor now works fine, but for the other text editors like event description etc issue still relevant.
I don't know what you did to the note editor, but I think that was some small change that can also be applied to the other rich text editors in your software.

I'm not pushing for a fix since I got it working using an easy walkaround, just letting you know as a person who reported a bug you probably attempted to fix.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Does there really need to be a message when an item is restored to a previous step?

It seems rather annoying to have to click okay and get a system notice ding upon restoring something.
Attachments
2021-12-06_122936.jpg
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MetalDrop, otherwise it might not be clear whether the restoration took place or not. We can add an option into the message that would allow you to choose not to show it anymore in the future.

ЛеонидЛогинов, thanks for the update. We actually did switch from one set of low-level Windows APIs to another for rendering Unicde-encoded text in notes. Seems it did work. Will see if we're able to implement this change for other types of items before the 10.0 final release.

TumbleDoor, keep in mind this is the very first iteration of the feature, which will be developed and enchased further down the road. Its was initially developed for the Business edition to allow users to see not only who changed what but to revert back to the previous versions. There's a good point about data loss when lowering the number of days/steps, will improve this.
nigermain

Post by nigermain »

Hi,

I am using version 9.10.8. I am trying to configure my office email, which is a microsoft exchange 365, but in vain. I cannot send out email, and connot receive.

Could you please help me go around this issue.

Thanks
Germain.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You write this in the 10.0 version topic. Download and install this particular version and you will be able to add your Office 365 mail account into EPIM. Thanks!
nigermain

Post by nigermain »

Thank you very much,

it is working now.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to know :)
gigios
Novice

Post by gigios »

I have downloaded the RC2 Pro version to test the possibility to configure an Exchange account of my company without success.
After the installation is started the Synchronization Wizard where I have done these steps:
- I have selected the option "Office 263, Exchange"
- in the Sync Credentials, for the test, I have selected only the Mail
- In the Sign in page I have changed the 'Sign-in options" to "Sign in to an organization"
- Added the Domani name
- Added the email account
- The password
- After the press of "Sign in" button it's closed the sign in page and show a small window with a progress bar and the text "Pleas wait"
- This dialog is shown for 3-4 seconds, and only a small percentage in the bar, and after is closed and shown again the Sync Credentials page.

I don't have seen any login error but I'm not able to configure my Exchange account.
Is there any additional tests i can do?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you could create a temporary test account for us so that we test this on our side, that would be super.
gigios
Novice

Post by gigios »

Unfortunately for the company it's not possible to create a temporary account for security rules.
I don't know if there is a flag that I can enable to increase the logging and help you for the investigation.