Drag&Drop EML File Name

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

duarte.framos
Novice

Drag&Drop EML File Name

Post by duarte.framos »

Hello and happy new year everyone.

I'm looking into purchasing EPIM Pro in the near future for my personal organizational needs, and it seems like a very capable solution, but I have a few questions before I do.

TL,DR: Is there any way to customize the resulting file name of a dragged email from EPIM to the file system?

If I drag an email from my inbox to any file manager a new EML file is created and named after the email subject plus an EML extension say: "Welcome to EssentialPIM.eml".

Thunderbird behaves the same way, which is less then ideal when trying to archive a long conversation thread to filesystem (all messages have the same name which is not helpful), but outlook for example saves with a much more helpful date+sender+subject format like "2020_01_08_Sender_Subject.eml".
It both helps with sorting (starts with an inverted date) plus identifies the sender which is quicker to search for.

Is there any way or setting in EPIM I can tweak to configure the resulting filename? I haven't found anything in the options dialog.
If not is this a feature request you would consider worthy of the development time?

Thanks
Max
Site Admin

Re: Drag&Drop EML File Name

Post by Max »

Hello,

you can manually change the name of EML file when saving one by one. There is no such feature to bulk- rename when exporting into EML files in bulk (same when dragging emails).
We can consider it a feature request, however, it is the first of this kind, to my knowledge.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
duarte.framos
Novice

Post by duarte.framos »

I feared as much. I already have a renaming solution I currently use with Thunderbird, I would have to keep using it then.

Thanks for considering it, though it is obviously low priority.
Keep up the great work, cheers!
duarte.framos
Novice

Post by duarte.framos »

If anyone is facing a similar issue, for the record, I've been happily renaming EML files with ReNemer .

You can setup pre defined renaming profiles with your desired rules, including cleanup routines to remove unwanted or illegal characters.
It supports command line parameters, using those I have integrated it into my file manager so it is available on right click.