swiss german dictionary

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Haldex
Guru

swiss german dictionary

Post by Haldex »

Is there a possibility to load a Swiss High German spelling? German is not nearly correct enough for Switzerland. Just as Austrian German has different terms, so does Swiss High German. I'm not talking about the dialect.
Win 11 Prof 64 Bit, 16 GB, 11th Gen Intel i7-11390H 3.4 GHz
Keldi
Guru

Re: swiss german dictionary

Post by Keldi »

To manually add a dictionary not listed among available in the EPIM settings, you have to find the spelling dictionary in the right format (Hunspell) somewhere on the Internet.
Then you can put files .aff and .dic into the Dict folder of EPIM, restart EPIM and check that in Options > Spelling the right dictionary is chosen.

LibreOffice has some German dictionaries. I'm attaching the files I extracted from the LibreOffice extension (not sure it's what you are looking for, I just saw that it mentions Switzerland). I had to play a little with files encoding before it stopped underlying everything with red, hope it'll work now with EPIM.
Attachments
Dict.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Haldex
Guru

Post by Haldex »

Thank you very much. I tried it once and unfortunately it wants to change "Grüsse" to "Grusse". At least two simple "ss" are now allowed. But unfortunately the "ü" should also be recorded correctly.

Is there any way to change this?

How do the two files "aff and ".dic" work together?
Win 11 Prof 64 Bit, 16 GB, 11th Gen Intel i7-11390H 3.4 GHz
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Have you disabled the other German dictionary in EPIM > Tools > Options > Spelling?
With the dictionary from above Grüsse looks like this to me:
Grüsse.png
Grüsse.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 710 times

Haldex wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm How do the two files "aff and ".dic" work together?
A dictionary file (dic) contains words and flags and an affix file (aff) specifies how the flags change the spelling of the words (i.e. adding prefixes, suffixes).
You can learn more about it from the Hunspell File Formats Manual (hunspell5.pdf)

But a dictionary that doesn't need any editing probably already exists somewhere out there. Hunspell is very popular dictionary format, many programs, especially open source, use it. I just really don't know enough about German to point you in the right direction.