reinstall firebird

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

gertone
Novice

reinstall firebird

Post by gertone »

I have an essentialpim pro network license and have the server on an old windows 2003 server

I have currently messed up the firebird 2.1 server that was installed along side a 2.5. But this also seems to stop the 2.5 firebird from accessing the db

- Can I just reinstall the firebird, without breaking the epim database file?

- would that effect the google sync I have on essentialpim (causing duplicate records etc.)

- I am considering to decommission the 2003 server for a linux cloud server... what are my options?

- I have read about dropbox alternatives for the network edition (I have basically 1 user, accessing through multiple machines, but never at the same time) Would that be a valid alternative?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: reinstall firebird

Post by admin »

1. Absolutely, you can resintall it, that will not affect the EPIM's database file in any way.
2. Nope, there's going to be no effect on that.
3. You can install firebird on a Linux machine, as well. You can then set up synchronization with it through File->Synchronization->Add Synchronization->EPIM Server.
4. Yep, this could be an option. You might also have a look at EPIM Cloud.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
gertone
Novice

Post by gertone »

Thanks for this answer.
I will start by reinstalling firebird, so I have some time to check the other options after
Is 2.5 still the recommended firebird version? and does firebird still have the installer up somewhere?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, that's the recommended version. You can get it from their official web site: https://firebirdsql.org/
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
gertone
Novice

Post by gertone »

Thanks Max,
I took the risk yesterday evening but failed to report here after
The 2.5 receives no further updates and can be found here https://firebirdsql.org/en/firebird-2-5/
I installed that one on the server and, as you said, EPIM works like a charm and the google sync was intact
Thanks for your help
Geert