All tasks due to be done today???

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

cyman1964uk

All tasks due to be done today???

Post by cyman1964uk »

Hi,

This is my very first post. I have only just installed the Windows desktop version and I am well impressed. However, I do have a couple of questions:

QUESTION 1 - Today's tasks

First, I would like to see in my list of tasks in 'TODAY' view all the tasks which are due today, regardless of which list they come from. So, for example, suppose I have a list called "Recurring daily tasks" containing 2 items (play guitar, walk the dog) which I need to do every day and I have another list "Recurring weekly tasks" containing a single task (check car oil level). Now, the car oil level check task is set to only occur on Saturdays.

Today is Tuesday, so at the start of today, I want to have the following list of tasks appear:
  • play guitar
  • walk the dog
The same for tomorrow, Thurs, Fri, but on Saturday I need my additional oil check tasks to also appear:
  • play guitar
  • walk the dog
  • check car oil level
Then, on Sunday, I want it to return to:
  • play guitar
  • walk the dog
Is this possible, please? If so, how would I do it?

Question 2 - Synchronisation

My second question concerns synchronisation of data. It is my understanding that there is a monthly fee subscription required for use of Essential PIM in the cloud and that this is used for synchronisation of data between devices. HOWEVER, I have just managed to synchronise my data between PC and iPhone with a free account. So, what's the difference? What does the paid-for service do that I cannot do without it?

Question 3 - Subscriptions for the PRO

My last question is about the purchase of the Pro at $35.95. Do I need to pay this once per device? If so, as a PC, iPhone and Android phone user, will I have to pay $108-ish in total to be able to use this across all my platforms? And what if I have several PCs?

Subject to answers to these questions that I am happy with, I will be purchasing the PRO version of the software.
I'm happy to clarify details further on any of these questions. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Simon.
Keldi
Guru

Re: All tasks due to be done today???

Post by Keldi »

(I'm just an EPIM user, the official staff will correct me if something's wrong with my answer)

It's possible in the EPIM Pro.
In the right upper corner of today's module there is a view setting for tasks: Consolidated view (shows tasks from all lists) + Grouped by Due Date should do the trick.
epim-today-tasks.png
epim-today-tasks.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Or an alternative, there is an option for a task 'Show in Calendar', that way you'll see all the tasks for today right along with the appointments in Today/Calendar module.

When you are creating a task/appointment, there is a 'Repeat every' option where you can set it to be repeated daily/weekly on some day/days and so on. Keep in mind,
  • if you create 'play guitar' as a task repeated every day, you'll see only the first task (for today) and the task for the next day will be created only after you check today's task as completed and so on.
  • If you create it as an appointment, it'll be created immediately for all the days.
So depending on whether you need to see all you have planned for the week at once or just the 'current' tasks, you'll have to create either tasks or appointments (or a separate tasks for each day of the week and set to repeat them weekly).
Either way, don't miss the end date/expire option, so the tasks/appointments were automatically created for the entire period you are going to have them in your routine.

The EPIM Cloud allows you to keep an online copy of your database as: 1) a way to sync between devices even without PC version; 2) a way to share your data with other users; 3) a web-browser version of EPIM for some modules (has just a fraction of EPIM functionality). And it's an extra online backup, I guess.
It's totally optional, there are a lot of different (free included) options for synchronisation of EPIM data between devices or with other online services.

Or more details from the EPIM's Help File:
It is now possible to have all your EssentialPIM data stored in EPIM Cloud. This is very handy when you need to access your data from different locations and share it with other EssentialPIM users. All your data can be easily accessed from any device or PC even without EssentialPIM Pro installed, just using a web browser.

EPIM Cloud service is designed to securely synchronize EssentialPIM data between Windows devices. All data is accessible solely via SSL, the same protocol that protects online banking. With EPIM Cloud you can safely share any kind of data with colleagues in your team as well as synchronize your home and office PCs, or just share a schedule with your family members.

You can choose which EssentialPIM data will be accessible via EPIM Cloud and how often it will be synchronized. Note, though EssentialPIM can sync all your data with EPIM Cloud, only three modules can be accessed directly via web browser: Calendar, Task and Contacts. Other modules like Notes and Passwords are securely stored in the cloud to be accessed solely via the Windows version of EssentialPIM.
Different platforms have different licenses, so if you want EPIM Pro on all of them, you'll have to buy it separately (IPhone, Android and Windows).
For Android it's a one time purchase to use on all your Android devices.
For IPhone - not sure. Isn't the app free there?
For Windows you are buying either:
  • a license for the current version
    EssentialPIM Pro version you purchased forever. In addition, you are entitled to free updates for one year from your purchase date.
    That means your version will work forever, but if you'll want to upgrade to a newer version later in the future, you'll have to purchase a renewal of license or lifetime upgrade.
  • or the lifetime licence
    Lifetime license allows you to pay for the program once and get all new versions for FREE for lifetime.
And also
One license gives you right to use EssentialPIM Pro on two Desktop/Laptop computers that belong to you.
I suppose you can install the portable version of EPIM Pro on an USB stick and take EPIM with you to whenever you go. If I'm not mistaken, the license terms seem to allow a portable use, just stating not to use one license at the same time on several computers. Otherwise, you have to purchase the licenses for all additional PCs.
After you have purchased the license for SOFTWARE, and have received the file enabling the registered copy, you are licensed to copy the SOFTWARE only into the memory of the number of computers corresponding to the number of licenses purchased. The primary user of the computer on which each licensed copy of the SOFTWARE is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer. Under no other circumstances may the SOFTWARE be operated at the same time on more than the number of computers for which you have paid a separate license fee.

Regards.
cyman1964uk

Re: All tasks due to be done today???

Post by cyman1964uk »

What an awesome answer! Thank you.