Contacts View Needs Work

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jimbeam23c
Guru

Contacts View Needs Work

Post by jimbeam23c »

Once a contact and their details have been added, changes made to any of their fields should ONLY be made to that particular contact, and not to the general contacts view.

For example, if one of my contacts has two personal e-mail addresses, but no linkedin account, I should be able to add the two e-mail addresses and delete the linkedin field.

However, doing so will change ALL the contacts view in that ALL their linkedin fields will be gone.

Since all contacts have different details individual to each contact, making changes to one contacts fields should not affect other contacts fields.

This way, I can just have the relevant fields that have information filled in for one contact, and delete other fields that do not apply to them, but that do apply to others.

So to recap, ALL contacts should have ALL the fields by default, but once a contact has been saved, any changes to fields should only apply to that contact.

If I add fields to that contact, it should ask me if the addition should be for ALL contacts, or just this particular contact.
EssentialPIM Portable 11.0.4 (Windows)
EsentialPIM 6.0.2 (Android)
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
a8907433
Guru

Re: Contacts View Needs Work

Post by a8907433 »

I also had this idea a long time, many, many versions ago.... but the I realized: How should the data be exported and imported, if all contacts have potentially different data-fields?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you for the suggestion, however, so far it looked like benefits won't cover the technical complexities that need to be overcome.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

a8907433 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 pm I also had this idea a long time, many, many versions ago.... but the I realized: How should the data be exported and imported, if all contacts have potentially different data-fields?
The back-end data remains the same for all the contacts. Its only the view that is personalised to each contact.

However, EPIM for Windows needs additional smarts to remember which fields were deleted for which contacts, and which were added for others, and show that information. The back-end data remains the same for ALL contacts.
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

Max wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm Thank you for the suggestion, however, so far it looked like benefits won't cover the technical complexities that need to be overcome.
Well, that's just not good enough from you guys.

You're constantly negative on views from your users.

I've detailed a valid and existing issue with your product.

If my suggestion isn't feasible, then look for another way to fix the issue, because it is an issue and needs to be fixed in some manner regardless.

Just don't say "nah, this is too hard so thanks anyway and lets just leave it as is".

If I took the time to write in great detail the issue that does indeed exist, then work with me and try and lets come up with some solutions together.
Lets go back and forth and share ideas. That's how progress is made to issues that users experience.

Give me some suggestions you think may work and let me ponder those through, and vice versa.
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

as mentioned above, thank you for the suggestion, so far there is not enough visible demand that justifies the efforts for this particular feature.
Probably a link to the version history https://www.essentialpim.com/news/version-history could demonstrate how we feel about user suggestions, as most of items there were suggested by EPIM users.
If you definitely need the feature, there is always an option of custom development- this way you may get exactly what you need without requiring significant demand from other users.
Maxim,
EPIM Team