Synchronization problems

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
markdate
Novice

Synchronization problems

Post by markdate »

Hi All!

I have laptop Dell E4300 XP with Epim Pro and HTC Desire 820 with EPIM Pro too. Synchronization between the two works very well using USB cable or Bluetooth connection.
Last time I decided to change the Desire 820 to Asus Zenfone Pro M2.

I had switched Zenfone settings the same way like for HTC. The synchronization using Bluetooth works very well, but using USB cable doesn't want to work at all. It looks rather strange because on Dell I can see Zenfone's cathalogs after performing USB connection and possible is copying files into both directions.

I noticed that at PC Network window cannot be created connection for Zenfone USB connection. For HTC USB connection something similiar appears.

I remember, but not so well, that during installation of soft at PC for Zenfone connection I received a message. It was something about problems of NDIS installation, or something like that. Maybe this is the reason of USB synchronization problems for my Zenfone?

Maybe somebody had experienced and solved similiar problem and can help me.

Best regards

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronization problems

Post by admin »

Mark, did you enable the "USB tethering" option in your phone settings? You might also need to create a new synchronization for your new phone in EPIM, but since you say synchronization via Bluetooth works, this shouldn't be the case..
Also check out the corresponding topic in the help file please, if needed: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
markdate
Novice

Post by markdate »

Dear Epim Admins!

Thanks for the advices. Sorry for the delay with my answer but as I mentioned before synchronization using Bluetooth for my Asus Zenfone works very well. It makes that solving the problem with USB sync for me is not of the knife on the neck category.

A few years ago completing synchronization for PC and my older smartphone (HTC Desire 820) with USB and Bluetooth made me some problems too. It was not a lucky shot. Every option necessary to enable this work (including IP, tethering, new sync for new phone) I had to set as it should be set. Astonsoft help text was a very good guide to solve the problem, but it was not enough to overcome it. I had to "investigate" all of the important options, and thanks to internet it was easier for me to learn of them, so I could set them up to enable both synchronizations.

The Astonsoft description you had suggested me to use I had red many times, but some important aspects are omited by it. The HTC Des 820 USB sync works, among others, thanks to enabling option "USB debugging". The option in Andro later than 4.0 (?) is unvisible in Andro settings. I suppose that it touches every today's andro phone. Probably without correct setting it on the USB sync with Des 820 will never works. Astonsoft "How to set up USB sync" did not mention about it at all. Now for me the next problem is that for the Zenfone setting the option up had changed nothing. Because I was working in IT system administration for more than 25 years (mainframes), possibility that I solve the problem in the end is not low. For me this is rather question of my free time, and in good circumstances I will solve it earlier or later.

As I see most of the Epim users don't use syncing by USB, but it has a very, very big advantage. If the options are set up correctly it works at every place on our globe (like bluetooth sync). It never needs internet connection to any cloud or something like this. USB cable is the only thing that is necessary to perform it. Another important matter is that it is very much safe for any hacker's attack. Much more safe than Bluetooth, or cloud syncing.

In my opinion for ordinary users, who has no IT experience, situation similar to this one I met makes them to resign of using EPIM organizer. EPIM is worth to do something with it to make it much more popular. Personaly I find it as a kind of a masterpiece software. Surely, there could be many things changed in it, but even without the changes it is marvelous. I think that it would be a good idea to build a library consisting of a kind of "prescriptions" describing setting up many types and models of mobile phones, and PC's. This is possible to build it with a help of EPIM users who will help to do it if only Astonsoft ask them about it.

Best regards

Absolute fan of the EPIM organizer
Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks very much for the detailed feedback, will surely take it into account!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!